Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Malfunctioning auto lights-off system

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssz crewman, wm caprice, 2018 prado, hq Belmont u
I have noticed recently that on several occasions, the auto lights-off function on my VT executive has failed to work. The doors have been locked but the headlamps remained on. Potentially, this might drain the battery
and cause problems. Any ideas? Common problem?...

Funnily enough, the VZ SS work car I drive did exactly the same thing yesterday. Coincidence?.....

Optimus_Prime

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 Clubsport R8
Earlier commodores have it too, well i know a VS does for sure. It shuts off the headlights when your door opens. There's a little button thing in next to the door hinge which i assume is the trigger; make sure that pops in and out easily, also that you're opening the door enough for it to switch :)

luvmycommodore

Mum's Taxi *sigh*
Reaction score
Website
ucw.com.au
Members Ride
'02 VXII Acclaim Wagon
Works on my VX - did on my previous car, a VR, too. Good thing too - i can't remember the number of times i had to call NRMA to come start my VL when i was going to TAFE years ago LOL

Cal.oz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan Pathfinder
you can program it so the lights stay on for a while after the door is open. Check your manual it will tell you. That may be the problem

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
ringfeder3 said:
I have noticed recently that on several occasions, the auto lights-off function on my VT executive has failed to work. The doors have been locked but the headlamps remained on. Potentially, this might drain the battery
and cause problems. Any ideas? Common problem?...

Funnily enough, the VZ SS work car I drive did exactly the same thing yesterday. Coincidence?.....

Mine does it too at times. The whole system works off the switch on the door. Very common for this to fail. Other causes could be jammed/kinked wires.

Reaper

digitok

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec
luvmycommodore said:
Works on my VX - did on my previous car, a VR, too. Good thing too - i can't remember the number of times i had to call NRMA to come start my VL when i was going to TAFE years ago LOL
No ****, I flattened my battery in my VL about 3 times at work :(

Thank God for this feature :D

digitok

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec
Oh, and to add something, sometimes they won't auto-shutoff when you turn the lights off/on while the car is off, then open the door..

Cheers

Dave398

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute Nickel Silver
Yeah if you turn the lights on after the engine is off, they will stay on when you open/shut the door.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
Dave398 said:
Yeah if you turn the lights on after the engine is off, they will stay on when you open/shut the door.
welded relay