Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Manifold air leak?

Warranty Void

Take it apart? Me? No!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX V8
At steady light loads the engine seems to hesitate every so often, been told its most likely an air leak from the inlet manifold, does this sound right?
Not too keen on pulling the manifold if I don't have to but I want to get this sorted out.
I'm assuming that an air leak would be causing the oxy sensor to see a lean condition on cruise and the hesitation is where it's being over fueled?
There's a tiny oil leak under the thermostat housing so maybe it's time to do the gasket anyway. Sigh.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
At steady light loads the engine seems to hesitate every so often, been told its most likely an air leak from the inlet manifold, does this sound right?
Not too keen on pulling the manifold if I don't have to but I want to get this sorted out.
I'm assuming that an air leak would be causing the oxy sensor to see a lean condition on cruise and the hesitation is where it's being over fueled?
There's a tiny oil leak under the thermostat housing so maybe it's time to do the gasket anyway. Sigh.

Dirty or blocked injectors can cause this also. With a pair of pliers crimp off the return fuel line with the engine running, if revs pick up slightly or smooth out you need to replace injectors.

Warranty Void

Take it apart? Me? No!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX V8
OK, should have mentioned that I've gone through a few cans of start up spray trying to find it and so has the mechanic, and that it does it on both gas and petrol which both run off the delco (with some input from the gas computer for the gas injection)
Have been thinking maybe air leak could be around injectors.
Does anyone know a workshop in melb east with a smoke machine thing?

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
Also, might be woth taking the throttle body off and check the gasket between it and the intake manifold. Also take a look at your IAC valve, I just had to replace mine as it was causing issues.

If you spray some stuff on it and the idle changes try a new oring first before replacing the valve as they are not cheap.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E..VF2 redline W375.. 200 series landcruiser
just take the manifold off and replace the gaskets. ACL make a rubber gasket kit which is heaps better then the original cork ones. the job will only take you half a day and thats taking it easy. also would be worth replacing the injector o-rings for piece of mind.

Warranty Void

Take it apart? Me? No!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX V8
Cheers guys, I guess I know what I'll be doing on the weekend.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
manifold leaks usually affect idle quality more than hesitations on cruise. Does it have a smooth idle or does it idle rough ?
I guess if you can't find anything else obvious, then there's no harm in replacing the intake gasket - process of elimination.

But if it were me, first thing I'd be looking at is ignition (ie leads/plugs/coil/distributor cap) and injectors.

doigs8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VY 2 CALAIS
OK, my recommendation is that you take a die grinder and grind away everything until only the inlet manifold is left. Then you may see the problem. That is the same smart arse response that you gave me when i asked a genuine question on this forum. What a goose!