Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Manual or Auto?

gotham.r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 3.8 S1
Hey guys,
New to this forum so excuse my ignorance to anything haha

I've had my VX commodore for around a year now after upgrading from a vectra :p

I don't miss it as such but I do miss a manual gearbox, auto is killing me.
Manual conversions turn out to cost a fair amount so I'm looking at seeing if there's anything I can do to upgrade the auto gearbox at all?

gotham.r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 3.8 S1
Would you know where I can find it and price it?

Cheers!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT calais 1999
hey mate i was the same when i got my vt s2 Calais i did alot of looking around spoke to a lot of people about what the best upgrade for my gear box about a month of looking round and asking question i ended up getting a stage 2 shift kit and i would have to say it i love it i can change up and down gears and also leave it in drive for city drving i paid around 800

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
Hey guys,
New to this forum so excuse my ignorance to anything haha

I've had my VX commodore for around a year now after upgrading from a vectra :p

I don't miss it as such but I do miss a manual gearbox, auto is killing me.
Manual conversions turn out to cost a fair amount so I'm looking at seeing if there's anything I can do to upgrade the auto gearbox at all?

5spd Getrag Conversion would be around $1500 i reckon, assuming you and your mates can do it yourself.

otherwise a shiftkit, transcooler, and fit a set of 3.9's and feel your auto come alive.

gotham.r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 3.8 S1
hey mate i was the same when i got my vt s2 Calais i did alot of looking around spoke to a lot of people about what the best upgrade for my gear box about a month of looking round and asking question i ended up getting a stage 2 shift kit and i would have to say it i love it i can change up and down gears and also leave it in drive for city drving i paid around 800

sounds alot cheaper than a full manual conversion then. where did you get yours from?

gotham.r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 3.8 S1
this may sound a bit stupid but after you install a shift kit for example stage 2, how does it work from the actual shifter inside the car? what changes?

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
this may sound a bit stupid but after you install a shift kit for example stage 2, how does it work from the actual shifter inside the car? what changes?

from memory a switch is installed inside the car, that allows you to turn it on and off. the different stages refer to stage 1 being either on or off, whereas stage 2 allows you to select the desired firmness.

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
No. It firms the shifts up, that's it.

To hold gears you either need a manual, or a manualized valve body for your auto.