Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Manual or Auto?

gotham.r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 3.8 S1
so even with a stage 3 you can't actually hold them even though you have to manually change the gears?

thanks heaps for your help by the way!

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
a "stage 3" is a manualized valve body im pretty sure. so with a stage 3 you HAVE to change gears manually, ie. if the shifter is in drive, the box will select 4th and not change. you will have to select 1 to take off then shift to 2, etc.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT calais 1999
hey mate i got my done at a transmission place in gympie and the one i got allows me to hold each gear to the limiter. and in my opinion it shifts faster then a manual chirps the tires from first to second and second to third if ur really feeding it

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
Change the servo also, that will firm up the shifts. I went with billet servos for mine, but you could go the corvette servo also which is an improvement over standard but not quite as firm as billet.

ewt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Wagon, VZ Berlina, MX73 Cressida, KE36 Corolla.
A stage 3 kit sounds good, but if you want a manual, you'd be better off finding a VT or VX that came out with a Manual. Maybe something like an S-Pac.

kcpwns

Kicker - Livin' Loud :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Equipe
Yeah manual mite be the way to go mate..

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
a "stage 3" is a manualized valve body im pretty sure. so with a stage 3 you HAVE to change gears manually, ie. if the shifter is in drive, the box will select 4th and not change. you will have to select 1 to take off then shift to 2, etc.

Correct. Ive got a vs calais 5l with a manualised auto. There is no drive gear anymore. You have to change gear all the time. Just like the v8's use (kind of)

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
its a good idea, i would prefer a manual over it though for this sort of car. when i think of manualised autos i think of 1000rwhp builds.

clubsport_replica

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt clubsport replica
i would go a manual v6 conversions are easy to get and its not that hard to do really everything just bolts in place i did mine myself over 2.5 days only working on it while kids were in school.

mine cost me little over 2g but i replaced all bolts and was missing alot as the wrecker i used didnt have a complete v8 conversion.

but if there is nothing wrong with the auto than yeah the prices are going to be way cheaper doing something to the auto you have.