Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mark Webber Rated 6th

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
In the Advertiser today there was a report that Mark Webber was rated as the 6th best driver for 2008 by a British Motor Mag.:thumbsup:

Now I know there are plenty of you that do not thing he can drive - and thats OK - he gets the fat pay cheque.:)

But I think he is an outstanding roll model for young Aussie lads to look up to as Mark conducts himself in the public eye very well.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I think he can drive as well as an average F1 Driver (which is very good). But he seems to be missing the look after your car gene that some top drivers have, he also makes alot of errors (spins etc) so he's not holding back at all, what you see is all there is

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
I think he can drive as well as an average F1 Driver (which is very good). But he seems to be missing the look after your car gene that some top drivers have, he also makes alot of errors (spins etc) so he's not holding back at all, what you see is all there is

I dont think any of the F1 group of drivers "hold back" Look at Nico Rosburg - no shining star.

As for spins too often - I dont think he spins too much - a few - but not as many as Massa.

And yes he has been known to kill a car or 2 - but I dont think it has anything to do with the driver - like a gearbox blows - how is pressing a button to harsh going to kill the box - these cars are ment to be the pinical of development and are prone to failure.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Well who knows how you can break a F1 car more often than another driver. I don't know but it certainly seems like that's the case :). The world is more mysterous that just pushing buttons. Louis Hamilton is a driver who drives well under his limit during a race. There's alot of drivers racing F1 that often put in best lap of the race just once when they get angry at the official or the team or another driver just to prove a point. Those guys are all holding back because they aren't good enough or don't have the confidance to drive on the limit for thw whole race. Montoya used to be past his limit the whole race :p but it ended up costing him time

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
The 2009 season will be a true test when Vettel lines up next to Webber. On 2008 form Vettel should beat Webber every race and not bust a car or spin out. We shall see.

Montoya is rising up the Nascar ranks - but still not a front runner yet.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
You gotta remember the big 2 teams have budget 10 times if not 100 times more than the smaller teams and that equates to better cars all over. I think mark webbers takes his car to limit maybe its why he spins a bit hes pushing hard to race well. Pushing the car makes it prone to failure especially when you dont have the funds to develop better parts.
Good on him for rating so highi hope it was rating chosen from among his fellow drivers

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Vettel is an amazing driver. It will be interesting to see how Mark compares next year. The Toro Rosso was a much better car than the Red Bull at the end of 2008 so its a bit hard to estimate at the moment. Mark has always been quicker than his team mates in the past but I think Vettel is a step above any team mate he has had before.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vettel is an amazing driver. It will be interesting to see how Mark compares next year. The Toro Rosso was a much better car than the Red Bull at the end of 2008 so its a bit hard to estimate at the moment. Mark has always been quicker than his team mates in the past but I think Vettel is a step above any team mate he has had before.

Vettel should mix it up in 2009. The Toro Rosso came to life when they changed the gear box. It could happen that Vettel slips back in 2009 if the Red Bull fails to deliver. The fight between Webber abd Vettle is shaping (in my book) as the highlight in F1 for 2009 - after the top 4 cars play out for the title of course.

As you said Webber has beat all commers as team mates and was hardly ever beaten by them. Bring on qualifing in Melbourne........

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
You gotta remember the big 2 teams have budget 10 times if not 100 times more than the smaller teams and that equates to better cars all over. I think mark webbers takes his car to limit maybe its why he spins a bit hes pushing hard to race well. Pushing the car makes it prone to failure especially when you dont have the funds to develop better parts.
Good on him for rating so highi hope it was rating chosen from among his fellow drivers

They still have the same rules to abide by though. They can still only test for a certain amount of time.

Alonso is by far the best driver in the field. To get that Renault to where he did in the second half of the season was amazing. Lewis Hamilton = most overrated spoilt brat award. Hopefully Alonso will be back at the top next year. If he is on his game and has the car to match, Hamilton won't even come close to beating him.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
I agree ^^^ Lewie had a charmed intro to F1 - most things fell into place nicely for him. But some bad luck may just be around the corner. The ONLY thing that made Lewie look any good was his team mate. He was very bad in the McLaren for most of the year.

Alonso is a good chance to win the F1 title again - and yes is under rated as a driver.