Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mark Webber wins in Germany

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I watched it live and taped it - just had an inkling it may well have been Marks night, then a drive though - I swor at the telly and huffed and puffed for about 3 laps. Then did the calcs and thought hey wait a minute - he could still just make it back out in front if he makes some good laps.

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
E34 535i M - E70 X5 M - E60 M5 - No Fear
Dormant Neurons

I think that the sophistication of F1 catches a lot of good drivers out. You need to be good, and you need to have spare capacity to deal with all the complex systems found in a contemporary F1 car, and deal with them at speed.

Someone like Bourdais (4 times Champ Car Champ) can win at champ car because it more about car control and the art of driving than it is about systems management and the more technical aspects.

Just looking at an F1 stearing wheel gives me a headache. It is no wonder the likes of Lewis Hamilton spend anything up to three weeks in the off season training themselves with their new steerting wheel and their hands in a black bag so they can navigate the 30 or so switches by feel.

I can't imagine how hard it would be to deal with, brake bias, wing angle, rev limit, fuel mix, KERS setup, diff settings, telemetry readouts, pit speed limiter, pit radio, clutch settings, and so on. All at once and several times a lap when pulling anything up to 5Gs and moving at 300+ kph inches from the car next to you.

I can handle myself behind a steering wheel better than most, and I find dealing with 2 switches, 1 multifunction display, 2 temp sensors, and a mixture control, a bit of a handful when dicing with someone flat stick at 100+ kph around a corner pulling 3g's in my cart.

2006 BMW F1 wheel.
steering-bmw.jpg

Controls of my kart's steering wheel.
alfano.jpg

As I said before, the difference between a good 'driver' and a good 'F1 driver' is down to skills other than the actual driving. And as with almost any professional sport these days, having an arrogant and obsessive personality helps immensely. It's not a popularity contest its a team sport, a test of skill, intellect, business acumen, physical stamina, people management, political awareness, and of course technical prowess.

L8r

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
So to win a moden day F1 race you need to be very very good. But you still need every one else to do their bit spot on too. Bourdais has been very disappointing at the craft, but would he fail in a Red Bull this year - I suspect he would.

Anyway Stig - great post - I think you nailed it.