Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Martial Arts

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whippled 5.7, VE SV6, GU Patrol 3.0DI
2nd Dan in Zen Do Kai. Don't think there are many places around that do it anymore. Pity. Lots of discipline.

Who did you Train with?
Heard of Silvio Morelli? Blitz Magazine? He used to Train Geido Kai to a selected few... I did 10 yrs with him, he is and was a machine...

2nd dan is very impressive!! well done..!!

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
look into wing chun mate, very much a hands-on contact form of martial arts. serious students condition and train parts of the body for combat, particularly the fists, fore arms and shins so they can take the punishment of full contact sparring.
its a very quick close style of fighting, most "real" kung fu movies (as in the foreign ones) will use wing chun in them so you've probably seen wing chun done before.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Thx guys for the inputs. I'll get if some of these styles are around my area (Perth). Mostly its karate, taekwondo around. But I guess some of the little academys may be less restricted :D

sleek_vp

sleek_vp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
mate go for boxing, its the hardest contact sport there is and the best, i did it for 8 months (i should still be doing it) and loved it before my work decided to throw me on nights anyway its way more than just punching, when i went i had to run around 2 soccer fields twice before the trainer would let me in the training room, then we had to air box, different sorts of squats and sit ups, flexibility activites, muscle straining activities (hold arms out to the side& move around and around and lots more involved to that), then theirs learning all the types of punching& combinations and learning to use a medicine ball, speed bag and skipping rope (properly), people think that boxing is just punching but its far from it and in that time i went i witnessed each class tear more& more people down to literally being unable to lift their arms, if you choose boxing it will realy show you what your made off ;)

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
mate go for boxing, its the hardest contact sport there is and the best, i did it for 8 months (i should still be doing it) and loved it before my work decided to throw me on nights anyway its way more than just punching, when i went i had to run around 2 soccer fields twice before the trainer would let me in the training room, then we had to air box, different sorts of squats and sit ups, flexibility activites, muscle straining activities (hold arms out to the side& move around and around and lots more involved to that), then theirs learning all the types of punching& combinations and learning to use a medicine ball, speed bag and skipping rope (properly), people think that boxing is just punching but its far from it and in that time i went i witnessed each class tear more& more people down to literally being unable to lift their arms, if you choose boxing it will realy show you what your made off ;)

boxing is pretty tiring and is a good workout, but you use pads, bags, bandages and crap to protect your hands. ever used a Muk Yang Jong (wooden man/wooden dummy) before? try punching and kicking one of them for a session and see how you feel after ;)
they're used to condition parts of your body for full contact and they ****ing hurt like a bastard at first (think punching and kicking a tree at full strength repeatedly).
there's alot of pain involved in the training for wing chun, the conditioning you go through is hectic.
it always makes me laugh when you see people using training pads and stuff to hit - if you ever need to use your skills for real your not going to be hitting soft foam filled pads and there's not going to be much give in them to cushion the blow. so why train yourself and your body to expect that? part of training should also be the conditioning of yourself to be able to take the effects of giving and recieving a hit - not just learning the motions.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
boxing is pretty tiring and is a good workout, but you use pads, bags, bandages and crap to protect your hands. ever used a Muk Yang Jong (wooden man/wooden dummy) before? try punching and kicking one of them for a session and see how you feel after ;)
they're used to condition parts of your body for full contact and they ****ing hurt like a bastard at first (think punching and kicking a tree at full strength repeatedly).
there's alot of pain involved in the training for wing chun, the conditioning you go through is hectic.
it always makes me laugh when you see people using training pads and stuff to hit - if you ever need to use your skills for real your not going to be hitting soft foam filled pads and there's not going to be much give in them to cushion the blow. so why train yourself and your body to expect that? part of training should also be the conditioning of yourself to be able to take the effects of giving and recieving a hit - not just learning the motions.

sircruisealotVS's, that's exacly how I'm thinking. The only thing with Wing Chun... I actually haven't seen any fights, just seen a lot of arm twisties (dont know how to say what they are doing) haha. You have a link with a good demonstration of the skills in a actual fight situation?

Tekka

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VR Commodore
I train in Bushi Kai Karate, which is the split off from Zen Do Kai. Been doing it for about 7 years now have achieved 1st dan black belt. I recommend any Zen do kai/bushi kai club if you can find one. Its a freestyle art which consists of karate/muay thai and bjj for ground work.

Steery

AA 554 G
Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR SS M5
i still think you should learn muay thai. its quite possibly the most effective fighting style in a street fight as you learn how to hit, not get hit.. and not get hit and do damage at the same time.

think boxing punches, thigh kicks (like a slap with the foot) knees and elbows. also defensive moves such as (forgot the name) getting extremely close to protect the face and upper body as you cant be punched, while throwing knees into the upper legs/torso. you will also be conditioned and depending on where you train, full contact sparring.

a lot of the gyms that do muay thai will also do brazilian jiu jitsu as lots of the trainers are ex or current MMA fighters. however, ground fighting is generally useless in a street fight because as soon as you hit the ground you will just get stomped on by xxx's mates.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
I trained for 11 years and went through 3 different styles...

Ended up doing freestyle martial arts under Susumu Ryu.

That would hard... basically upto about green belt it was half contact to the body and nothing to the face... after that it was half contact everythere... once you got to brown and onward it was hard contact all round and if both carticipants wanted they could go full contact...

Good fun... got to probationary Nidan before I had to take time off for VCE... never got back into it cause over those 4 months my fitness dropped and I just couldn't keep up with the standard required of me.

But yeah... another style to look at is kick boxing... you'll get contact there... :p

System

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ commodore exec
i've trained in karate for 3 years, then for the past 2 years i've been doing taekwondo, both have their strengths and weaknesses.

as said about karate, very solid stances, great GENERAL moves, but nothing too special- a great beginners style i believe :D

Taekwondo- ALOT of kicks, with a few blocks, not many punches.

where i train we pretty much do abit of everything. Free sparring, knife defence (ur opponent with a rubber knife- u gotta block and counter then move away), holds and throws- alot of fun, learnt how to get out of a 'bearhug' and even a 'full nelson' hold :D and ALOT of break moves, like the.... i think its called the 3 way break, where u can damage their, elbow wrist and shoulder in one move :D