Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Martial Arts

KhaosInc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V8 M5
when i was 12/13 i did zen do kai it was good for fitness not as much contact really even for all the black belts. mainly bag punching/kicking and karta

a few years ago i did kung fu which was based on mantis style but had lots of different styles mixed in (was a chinese family style) was contact just within limits, they also did conditioning as well and had black sash only training which is alot more intense. was very good but i moved and havent found anything like it since.

Looking to do maui thai or kick boxing as its big in the area.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
^^^ Ha! I did zen do kai under Kendal for a couple years... yeah kids class was only half contact at most...

Good fitness though!

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
sircruisealotVS's, that's exacly how I'm thinking. The only thing with Wing Chun... I actually haven't seen any fights, just seen a lot of arm twisties (dont know how to say what they are doing) haha. You have a link with a good demonstration of the skills in a actual fight situation?

yeah you would have, bruce lee used wing chun along with practically every other good famous martial artist. whenever you see a fight where the punches/hits are constantly deflected and countered (you might look as this as your "arm twisties") they're using wing chun.
wing chun uses many techniques, one of the main ones being energy efficiency - using the opponents power against them, instead of draining your own energy with big powerfull hits. if you ever tried to take on someone adept at wing chun - you would find it very frustating and be lucky to even touch them with a strike and probably end up on your ass before you knew what happened.

Steery

AA 554 G
Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR SS M5
yeah you would have, bruce lee used wing chun along with practically every other good famous martial artist. whenever you see a fight where the punches/hits are constantly deflected and countered (you might look as this as your "arm twisties") they're using wing chun.
wing chun uses many techniques, one of the main ones being energy efficiency - using the opponents power against them, instead of draining your own energy with big powerfull hits. if you ever tried to take on someone adept at wing chun - you would find it very frustating and be lucky to even touch them with a strike and probably end up on your ass before you knew what happened.

assuming they fight within the boundaries of what the wing chun adept has learned to defend.
its hard to stop someone grabbing your head and smashing it into something hard, the only real defence there is stopping the fight before something like that happens.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
assuming they fight within the boundaries of what the wing chun adept has learned to defend.
its hard to stop someone grabbing your head and smashing it into something hard, the only real defence there is stopping the fight before something like that happens.

you dont understand mate. in wing chun someone couldnt just "grab your head" - thats the whole point of this style, you control the other persons movements - as soon as they try to attack you've blocked, countered and disabled before they even realise whats going on.
like i said before, you'd be lucky to even lay a hand on someone who's good at wing chun.

PJ5700

Driving the dream
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
I play Karate with GKR. For a non contact style I seem to have plenty of bruises and boys being boys things tend to get exciting when we spar. There are other benefits such as improved fitness, flexibility, confidence and discipline. regardless of how many black belts you have it's not a good idea to go looking for trouble.

Nanos

Not a Mod
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII LS1 Berlina Wagon
I would reccomend taekwondo for sure. i did i for about 5 years. Best mix around. If you find a good club like where i trained you will get to learn many different self defence styles.

Also taekwondo have alot of sparing comps. that way you can put to the test what you have learned. And dont forgot its also an olympic sport so if you enjoy it enough who knows where you could end up.

i used to do as many comps as i could. My wife also used to train with us as well and do all the comps. I found for fitness it was great. Wish i could find the time to train again. I do a little bit at home as i have all the gear but im missing the comps.

Steery

AA 554 G
Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR SS M5
you dont understand mate. in wing chun someone couldnt just "grab your head" - thats the whole point of this style, you control the other persons movements - as soon as they try to attack you've blocked, countered and disabled before they even realise whats going on.
like i said before, you'd be lucky to even lay a hand on someone who's good at wing chun.

i do understand. street fights are completely different to the rules and regulations of competitions and even mma fights.