Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Master Cylinder Brace

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I just got a bit of around 2.4 gal steel sheet cut and bent it up to make it fit in soft jaws so it didnt mark too much and painted it with silver caliper paint and screwed it up...functional and it cost me next to nothin.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
AirStrike said:
Its not made to look pretty mate, its made to stop the flex found in the master cylinder.
Also there is the ground work put into it aswell, I can just rock up to a 'boat builder' and say whip me up a 6mm Alloy master cylinder bracket to suit a VT-VZ LS1 now can I............
If your not interested in buying one, or cant supply something of equal or better quality for a lower cost then keep your mouth shut.
AirStrike :air:
Geeze Dave cant you cope with some comment..it makes you look objectively at things...you dont have to take it personally ...we all cant be yes men you know!

aperfectcircle

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ute 04 VYIISS 5.7 M6
Well,

Just got mine.:w00t:

Didn't think that it would be that big:D

Anyway hope it helps me out.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
I couldn't see why you cuoldn't go to your local engineering works and even if you have to give them your factory bracket and explain to them you want a stronger one made up. This should be able to be done without too much of a cost. But if you have the know how and the right tools, It wouldn't be too hard to make one youself.

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
Matty081 said:
lol
a) rough as guts tig welding.looks more like pulse mig.
b) is plasma cut, not laser cut and also a waste of resources on their part.
c) it's ali, not alloy
d) $99 a pop are you ****ing kidding?

we used to do brackets just like that $10, 3 for a carton of piss
2 mins on bandsaw, 2 mins on drill, 2 mins on linisher, 2 mins on pulse mig, 2 mins on a grinder. 10 mins each x 6 = $60 p/hr = not bad for an apprentice.
and they don't even weld around the ends or clean them up, meaning stress spots and it looks ****.
no offence intended but comeon guys, these fellas are pissing in your pockets. go find an ali boat builder and get them to make them. if they can't do it for less then 20 bucks laugh in their face.

im sorry to say, but hes dead right. Manufacturing/designing parts like that is what i do for a living. 6 mm alum is a bit thick though. to cut some cost i would go 3mm 304 stainless and have the lot cnc plasma cut then tig welded. 10 at a time wont cost more than 40 dollars each. theres no research involed, just following a sample. and hes right again about the quality, remembering these brackets are for your brakes!

Last edited:

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
IBLOWN said:
im sorry to say, but hes dead right. Manufacturing/designing parts like that is what i do for a living. 6 mm alum is a bit thick though. to cut some cost i would go 3mm 304 stainless and have the lot cnc plasma cut then tig welded. 10 at a time wont cost more than 40 dollars each. theres no research involed, just following a sample. and hes right again about the quality, remembering these brackets are for your brakes!
The whole idea behind them was to stop flex, hence making them from something thicker. The stock ones are around 3mm thick so kinda defeats the purpose.

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
AirStrike said:
The whole idea behind them was to stop flex, hence making them from something thinker. The stock ones are around 3mm thick so kinda defeats the purpose.

the stock ones are galvanised mild steel, which has about half the tensile strength of stainless. TIG welded stainless is whole lot stronger than TIG welded aluminium. But hey, theyre your brakes and your safety.

Matty081

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
hmm this ones still going..
Yes I had one made for a good price of $0.00, it's on a friends vk calais, unfortunatly a "3mnth project" going on 4yrs in october so testing hasn't happened yet.
I had expected him to try it sooner sorry,
As suggested, it was cut out on a bandsaw, smoothed on a lineasher, and I welded it all the way round(properly) using a very hot, and slow pulse on a mig. Major penetration with a very smooth "tig" look.

IBLOWN is right, tig weld stainless IS alot stronger then tigged ali, Ali is also alot more brittle and will not cope with any sort of flex. With 3-4mm stainless the only movement would be in the bolts and the wheel arch where it's bolted to.
Standard ones being 1.6mm carbon steel, so anything is better then that.
How well do they work for you? Do you have super dooper brakes now?

Matt

Last edited:

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Matty081 said:
hmm this ones still going..
Yes I had one made for a good price of $0.00, it's on a friends vk calais, unfortunatly a "3mnth project" going on 4yrs in october so testing hasn't happened yet.
I had expected him to try it sooner sorry,
As suggested, it was cut out on a bandsaw, smoothed on a lineasher, and I welded it all the way round(properly) using a very hot, and slow pulse on a mig. Major penetration with a very smooth "tig" look.

IBLOWN is right, tig weld stainless IS alot stronger then tigged ali, Ali is also alot more brittle and will not cope with any sort of flex. With 3-4mm stainless the only movement would be in the bolts and the wheel arch where it's bolted to.
Pretty sure the standard ones are 1.6mm carbon steel so anything is better then that.
How well do they work for you? Do you have super dooper brakes now?

Matt
I changed the direction I went with regards to project car so I didnt actually get one. Just shits me when everyone has an opinion but I dont see any of you with any action.