Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Maximising your Modification dollar....

B

Boybrowny

Hi,

I previously owned a 3.8 V6 VX - managed to increase significantly my economy (and power) by installing a hyclone, hi-flow filter and aftermarket exhaust system (1000km+ highway, 750km town per tank)...

Having 'upgraded' to a 5.7lt gen 2 LS1 - I was very disappointed with the mileage I am getting...

Before I go spending a fortune trying differnt mods - I would like to know what others out there have found the best dollar return from:

1. Hyclone(s) - if you installed them - did you go for one or two?
2. Aftermarket hi-flow filters
3. Exhausts
4. Cold Air Induction systems
5. Computer re-programming
6. Electronic Quick-Shift kits...

Is there any other mod I should be considering?

My main goal is to increase fuel economy - however I have found in the past that when-ever you increase economy, you usually increase power too???

A mate of mine in the industry told me that the standard programming on an LS1 is retarded by about 25% in both - to compensate for those drivers who thrash their cars and don't maintain them as well as they should. Apparently this additional 25% can be 'tapped' simply by re-programming the computer that drives the engine...

Can anyone offer me any advice???

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
Boybrowny said:
Hi,

I previously owned a 3.8 V6 VX - managed to increase significantly my economy (and power) by installing a hyclone, hi-flow filter and aftermarket exhaust system (1000km+ highway, 750km town per tank)...

Having 'upgraded' to a 5.7lt gen 2 LS1 - I was very disappointed with the mileage I am getting...

Before I go spending a fortune trying differnt mods - I would like to know what others out there have found the best dollar return from:

1. Hyclone(s) - if you installed them - did you go for one or two?
2. Aftermarket hi-flow filters
3. Exhausts
4. Cold Air Induction systems
5. Computer re-programming
6. Electronic Quick-Shift kits...

Is there any other mod I should be considering?

My main goal is to increase fuel economy - however I have found in the past that when-ever you increase economy, you usually increase power too???

A mate of mine in the industry told me that the standard programming on an LS1 is retarded by about 25% in both - to compensate for those drivers who thrash their cars and don't maintain them as well as they should. Apparently this additional 25% can be 'tapped' simply by re-programming the computer that drives the engine...

Can anyone offer me any advice???
Sure can mate,

1. Hyclone(s): DONT EVEN DARE :b: not worth a single $1
2. Aftermarket hi-flow filters: Yeah Not a bad mod if you paper needs replacing if not dont bother
3. Exhausts : yeah helped mine somewhat but with the extra noise it will have you reving it a lot more :p
4. Cold Air Induction systems DOnt bother spending BIG dollers on an CAI , do a Search on MCAI ( manaro cold air induction ) this is the Best BANG FOR BUCK mod you can do ( cost around $25 from holden )
5. Computer re-programming Yep for Sure will make a **** load of Power more for around $1200 for a mafless tune and it helped my fuel ecconmy
6. Electronic Quick-Shift kits... NOT worth it , they can adjust this with the Tune.
BTW why the hell did you buy a V8 if you wanted good fuel economy :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Boybrowny

OLS108 said:
BTW why the hell did you buy a V8 if you wanted good fuel economy :confused:

I should have explained myself a bit better - I didn't expect great economy, but I did think it would be better than it is...

I'm happy with the car though, and intend to hang on to it, so thought I would try to make it as efficient as I could (especially with the fuel prices going the way they are!!!)

Thanks for the advice, i'm off to the LS1 website right now!

:D

Barcode

lllllllllllllllll
Reaction score
OLS108 said:
Sure can mate,

1. Hyclone(s): DONT EVEN DARE :b: not worth a single $1
:

Just got to ask
have you tried them to give that sort of answer
i have had one fitted to my ute and am getting around 50km more per tank than before so in my case they are worth the money ( only fitted one so far)

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
Barcode said:
Just got to ask
have you tried them to give that sort of answer
i have had one fitted to my ute and am getting around 50km more per tank than before so in my case they are worth the money ( only fitted one so far)
Dude are you for Real ? :( Go and ask anyone who Tunes LS1's and they will laugh at you for a statement like that, How litres per 100k's are you getting .

PS is your car tuned ?

highlander_69r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SE
an edit/zorst in the hands of a deasent tuner will make it more economical and add power(yay)i have a vy ss auto with std 3.07s and get bout 8.5 to 8.8 on highway and 12.9 to 13,4 in town driving but it differs dep on ya foot i not see the need to rev the hell out of a gen 3 when it out accelerates most cars keepin the sifts at 2g lol quite amusing.all this and it runs a 12.9@108 so u can have your cake and eat it to.imo filters arent worth the stuff they r made of and fuel saving devices well lets not talk about them as most of its gains r mental