Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mazda E2000 3.8 V6 conversion

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Also I'll need a rotating mass balance that's another $300 min

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
bowen, sounds like youre taking my aim a little far.

no rev limit increase, well behaved stock feeling engine with up to 10psi of turbo.

on a nice tune, there should be zero issues on the stock setup.

blokes in the US pushing 700hp on the stock L36 gear no problems. im chasing maybe 200rwkw. and im not even aiming for a HP figure. just improved torque. nothing more.

have a read of this mate, if anything, ill need a minor oiling upgrade, but using fresh parts, new bearings, forged pistons, and a general freshen up should see me with gobs of usable power (in a featherweight van) and quite reliably.

How much power with L36??

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Hmmm okay thought u were boosting a little more than 10pound seeing as your getting forged Pistons, you could get away with cast hypereuratec Pistons or even the l67 Teflon coated skirt cast iron Pistons? You gave me the wrong Impression lol well I took it wrong anyways.... Still having rebuilt 2 of these I know you can get away from your budget fairly quickly it's all the little things that add up like for instance you'll want new valve springs as the stickers won't have 90lb seat pressure anymore, some new lifters (ls7 are good) pushrods might be cactus a lot of these engines suffer oil starvation up there and the ends of the pushrods get munted, new guides if they're a bit sloppy, valve lapping compound , timing chain replacement new injectors new dfi n coils, sensors, etc etc etc list goes on and suddenly your rebuild is $2000 lol

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
the engine is question is in pretty good condition, has 290k on it, but has always been looked after, serviced, country K's etc, just only ran out of rego and has a minor timing case water leak. so pretty certain there will be select items replaced, but only once the internal condition is confirmed. trying to keep the budget low but prepared to spend the proper money on it to bring it back to fresh spec and hope to drop another 200,000km on it.

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
bit of an update to this as i went full circle.

decided it was too costly to do the v6 swap. so then tried my hand at putting a turbo on the 4 cylinder. I got as far as putting a holley 5200 carby on it and pulled the pin on that one. stupid thing drinks around 17L/100km so i decided to go back to the v6 swap.

scored a mint ex-telstra VX for $500 with 266k on the clock. has one of those freak motors in it with mass powers. like, pull up to a stop. let off the brake. then foot to the floor and it spun up first, into second and tapped the limiter in second before it even started moving forwards. did a solid single pegger for a good 100m, no brakes on 205 tires. i was impressed haha

so plan is to clean up the outside of the motor, make it pretty/ish and slip it into the van stock. maybe a cat back exhaust. Keep it super simple.

down the line, i may consider running a pair of T2871 turbos for a small boost on a L67 tune, but for now, smooth and quiet with good grunt will be nice.