Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

mech help 94 vr urgent

mossy14

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore 3.8
i had a coolant leak frm wht i could c the temp sens turned out 2 b a corrided coolant hose above the water pump but i aready bought parts so i did this>

i just replaced intake manifold and removed belmoth or whtever its called and cleaned alot of carbon off thottle body and manifold use 3 cans ,, the w/e just gone

now my muffler has jst blown out the bottom small hole , but almost the whole bottom is bent towards the ground like it was under pressure,

and ive noticed my rockers as loud as hell now ,,,

im flushing my system 2moz and new coolant but i dnt wana do this if i hav 2 rip it apart again

Q1 what have i done wrong?

Q2 also noticed from front of car the left gasket was pretty bad nick bits missing and the right looked fine is this somthg? (Intake manifold)

Q3 y did my muffler blow out?

Q4 y r my rockers noisy at ### now

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Q1 what have i done wrong?
Did you cover the intake ports in the heads and the valley when you were scraping the old gasket off and cleaning etc.

If debris from the old gasket got in the heads it can cause the valves to stick.

I always dump the oil after doing the inlet manifold gaskets as there is always the chance **** will drop down to the sump (including traces of coolant when you actually physically remove the manifold).

Q2 also noticed from front of car the left gasket was pretty bad nick bits missing and the right looked fine is this somthg? (Intake manifold)

Not really, thats just the gasket that was causing you problems.

Q3 y did my muffler blow out?

Coincidence?

Mild steel mufflers only last a few years before they begin to corrode and fall apart.

Q4 y r my rockers noisy at ### now

Once again, if you let **** drop into parts of the engine while you were cleaning up the surfaces of the heads/intake manifold etc this could potentially block an oil galley or have dropped to the sump and blocked the pickup causing a drop in oil pressure, hence making the lifters noisy (I doubt it's the rockers making the noise.)

That's one of the possibilities at least

Last edited:

mossy14

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore 3.8
Yea thanks heaps man. I covered the valley best as I could. I was gona wait a week b4 I do a oil change. Is it worth taking the sump out and having a look the pickup is in the sump yea?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Yea thanks heaps man. I covered the valley best as I could. I was gona wait a week b4 I do a oil change. Is it worth taking the sump out and having a look the pickup is in the sump yea?
'

The pickup is in the sump area yes, but it's not an easy task to just take the sump out.

Either the whole kframe has to be dropped or the engine has to come out

mossy14

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore 3.8
great more work :( aha i actually enjoy this, im learning alot, also found my original problem wasnt my intake manifold its my timing cover :( thts leaking coolant,

im pretty sure it looks like my whole sump can com out pretty easy , heaps of room few sump bolts and done, or am i missing somthg? and i hav a post on timing cover help i hav no idea wif tht also ahah thanks so much 4 ur help
im jst a stonemason :p

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
great more work :( aha i actually enjoy this, im learning alot, also found my original problem wasnt my intake manifold its my timing cover :( thts leaking coolant,

im pretty sure it looks like my whole sump can com out pretty easy , heaps of room few sump bolts and done, or am i missing somthg? and i hav a post on timing cover help i hav no idea wif tht also ahah thanks so much 4 ur help
im jst a stonemason :p

The sump needs to drop a fair way to clear the crank to be removed, so it's not a problem to get all the bolts off but you still won't be able to drop the sump without moving the engine or kframe.

I would be trying an oil flush first.

It's a days work minimum to drop the sump at home and there may not even be anything wrong there.

Last edited:

mossy14

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore 3.8
ok yer thanks i c wht u mean wont worry bout the sump . mayb whn its on a lift somtime down the track