Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mechanic stuffed my engine

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
I don't use sealants by themselves, I smear it on the gasket surface about as thick as you would vegemite on toast.

Its not necessary on head gaskets though.
Although a tiny little dab on the surface of a subaru block just helps the head gasket stay in place while you fit the head. otherwise they can hang a little queer.

jetboy

You learn til u die
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec
I have my vegemite pretty thick LMAO

monkeywrench

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ss sedan
as a new member here dont wont to cause problems,but a few manufactors dont use gaskets on sumps they use silastic instead a few i have had in my workshop havnt had gaskts on the sump from factory and you cant buy replacment ones either iam fairly sure the new commodores dont have 1 either

karlos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S S/C & BA XR6T
Well simple id pass the boss the scraper an tell him to show me how to get it of in two seconds , and quite frankly if he told me to just blurb it up with sealant , id tell the c#@t to get f#@ked ......... I run my own show an im forever getting ppl come in with their cars an askin me to fix oil leaks , an whts there , F@#ken salastic or sumother fangdangle fricken sealant everytime , slapped on by sum bloke ina 'hurry' . i clean all the **** off replace it wth a new proper gasket , torque the part down to specs , an twelve months later the customer comes back for a service , happy as larry that there's not a drop of oil on his driveway . there's a correct way to go about doing sumthing an theres the cowboy way , sealants are around cause theres a fricken shitload of cowboys out there , if a gasket starts to leak that means its shot , change the fricken thing an stop being so damn lazy . Theres no substitute for quality an id never put cheapshit gaskets on a car . Sealants have their purpose correct where you are told to put them period . Oh an by the way correct there are a few manufacturers that use a silicon based sump gasket arangement , dodgy , but true .

Yeah Magna auto trans sumps utilise only gasket goo(schmoo),PIA.

jetboy

You learn til u die
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec
Really , havnt had much to do with em when i see one pull up i run an shut the door an tell em im closed have a family emergency lol same as fords rootboxes

karlos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S S/C & BA XR6T
Really , havnt had much to do with em when i see one pull up i run an shut the door an tell em im closed have a family emergency lol same as fords rootboxes

The Tauraus is an absolute corker,real heavy labour consumer amongst the parts.

I agree,silicone/gasket makers have their place,what material is the sump gaskets again,if its rubber then def no sealant needed.

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux Ute - Vs Ecotech Engine
I don't use sealants by themselves, I smear it on the gasket surface about as thick as you would vegemite on toast.

Its not necessary on head gaskets though.
Although a tiny little dab on the surface of a subaru block just helps the head gasket stay in place while you fit the head. otherwise they can hang a little queer.

Hylomar works real good on head gaskets - it was designed it fill the micro irregularities in the surface of the head & block - it also acts as a lubricant for the alloy head to slide over when it heats up...

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux Ute - Vs Ecotech Engine
Well simple id pass the boss the scraper an tell him to show me how to get it of in two seconds , and quite frankly if he told me to just blurb it up with sealant , id tell the c#@t to get f#@ked ......... I run my own show an im forever getting ppl come in with their cars an askin me to fix oil leaks , an whts there , F@#ken salastic or sumother fangdangle fricken sealant everytime , slapped on by sum bloke ina 'hurry' . i clean all the **** off replace it wth a new proper gasket , torque the part down to specs , an twelve months later the customer comes back for a service , happy as larry that there's not a drop of oil on his driveway . there's a correct way to go about doing sumthing an theres the cowboy way , sealants are around cause theres a fricken shitload of cowboys out there , if a gasket starts to leak that means its shot , change the fricken thing an stop being so damn lazy . Theres no substitute for quality an id never put cheapshit gaskets on a car . Sealants have their purpose correct where you are told to put them period . Oh an by the way correct there are a few manufacturers that use a silicon based sump gasket arangement , dodgy , but true .

What do you do when there is no gaskets to be had ie its three days away with a weekend in between or the new gasket is worse than whats on there - your the boss & you need the car out the door & the cheque in your hand to pay people ??? You going to tell a customer that they have to wait another three days for a gasket??? come on - you have to be kidding here - go to Papua New guinea - if its not in stock in a store the next best thing is air freight out of Singapore & 7 weeks waiting time.....This soon tests you out when you have a machine that is needed for a job & its holding up a dozen workers - you would be sacked & on the first flight home...

In a workshop situation - every time you need something small like that its usually a phone call 1/2 hr wait just to get an answer from spare parts sometimes. To see if someone got it in stock - someone has to drive down & get it - time is money - if you where in business you would go broke..

Rarely seen any oil leaks on cars if silicone is applied properly - probably find its backyarders doing a bit of work on the weekend. Funny that manufacturers put it on cars from the factory in many circumstances - I am sure that they wouldn't do it unless it was necessary. You do not even need a gasket in a lot of circumstances - the correct use of the right type of silicon is all you need & it wont cause problems...

jetboy

You learn til u die
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec
Lol im not in Papua New Guinea , an if i were an stuck in that situation , then yeah id use sum goo . I am in bussiness an the parts ppl i deal with are quick an efficient , and deliver my parts to me when required , if your waitin on a cheque to hit your hands to pay ppl , and you are short a gasket - well that just comes down to poor planning . An yes ive been known to make ppl wait for their cars whilst i sort the correct part , my customers appreciate that as i have a reputation of doing a top job so they dont mind waiting , an im far from broke . I never stated that manufacturers never used silicone , they use it in key areas as i stated " where you are told to put it " . I also never stated that the use of salastic caused leaks used correctly or not , just that the fact every oil leak that i repair has it . Using salastic if correctly used and in the right application is fine if thats what floats your boat , all i was simply stating is that the job done correctly does not require it unless you are told to use it in key areas