Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Megaupload shut down

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Fail link. "Copyright" and Copyright law directly applying to Australia are 2 very different things. Last I checked, US legal precedents mean absolutely zero in Australia.

Specifically, which right would this be and where would I find it on a .gov.au type website???

Reaper

Get real, it's in the name.. What do you think copyright means?
cop·y·right  /ˈkɒpiˌraɪt/ Show Spelled[kop-ee-rahyt] Show IPA
noun
1. the exclusive right to make copies, license, and otherwise exploit a literary, musical, or artistic work, whether printed, audio, video, etc.: works granted such right by law on or after January 1, 1978, are protected for the lifetime of the author or creator and for a period of 50 years after his or her death.
Copyright | Define Copyright at Dictionary.com

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
this is only the beginning to the end

Lazyr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII R8 CLUBSPORT VE SS v2 monaro hsv avalanche 46
everyone should just spend 15 bucks a month for astraweb and download from newsgroups that will never be shut down :rofl2:

Daggy082

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.8
Who cares about megaupload... There are still torrent sites (for now)...

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Fail link. "Copyright" and Copyright law directly applying to Australia are 2 very different things. Last I checked, US legal precedents mean absolutely zero in Australia.

Specifically, which right would this be and where would I find it on a .gov.au type website???

Reaper

How about this?
"What is copyright?

Copyright is a type of property that is founded on a person's creative skill and labour. It is designed to prevent the unauthorised use by others of a work, that is, the original form in which an idea or information has been expressed by the creator.

Copyright is not a tangible thing. It is made up of a bundle of exclusive economic rights to do certain acts with an original work or other copyright subject-matter. These rights include the right to copy, publish, communicate (eg broadcast, make available online) and publicly perform the copyright material.

Copyright creators also have a number of non-economic rights. These are known as moral rights. This term derives from the French droit moral. Moral rights recognised in Australia are the right of integrity of authorship, the right of attribution of authorship and the right against false attribution of authorship.
Copyright is distinct from physical property

A clear distinction exists between the copyright in a work and the ownership of the physical article in which the work exists. For example, an author may own the copyright in the text in a book even though the physical copy of the book will be owned by the person who purchases it. Similarly, the purchaser of an original painting does not have the right to make copies of it without the permission of the owner of copyright: the right of reproduction remains with the copyright owner who is generally the artist."
.gov.au website -> What is copyright?
(Bold mine)

It's not theft or stealing. The crime is Copyright Infringement. Infringing on the "rights", granted through legislation, of the copyright holder.

Last edited:

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
Who cares about megaupload... There are still torrent sites (for now)...

The day Isohunt closes down, that's the day I will lose all faith in the internet.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
It doesnt matter if they shut down all sites. It doesnt matter how many forms of copy protection they try to add to the physical copies. It doesnt matter if they make it illegal to own a cd or dvd that isnt manufactured by an official source.

Its all a waste of time. The legal system vs technology. My money is on technology. No matter how much you improve the trap, someone will invent a new way of escaping.

Instead of charging random companies and indiviuals with crimes, they need to rethink how they make their money. The old system just doesnt work anymore. Ask Rupert Murdoch how many newspapers he sells now.. a crapload less than he used to.. so he is trying to create a system that actually works in todays environment. The music industry obviously needs to adapt too - its not going to stop the trend, it needs to learn to ride the waves. I-tunes is obviously an attempt at doing this, perhaps some real competition would be useful, given Apples attitude to any format not their own.

I copy DVDs. I rent them, thats my contribution. I copy them, so I can watch them again later at my leasure. I dont have a moral problem with this, they stay in my computer and only people in my household watch them. I wont waste the cash buying DVDs, even blank ones.

I record TV series. They are recorded from free to air TV, almost all have station watermarks on them. If I can watch them free on TV, I certainly dont intend paying to watch them again. The royalties have already been paid by advertisers, via the TV station, and the artists, production company and everyone else involved have already made a bunch of money.

I dont believe I have infringed copyright laws at all. In the old days, when we had vinyl, we used to buy the album, record it to cassette and use the cassette in the car. Of course partially because you couldnt play vinyl in the car, but also so that the original vinyl recording remained in good condition. I would argue that its unreasonable to be required to buy both the vinyl and the cassette. This same principle applies to any kind of home made copy in my view, and illegal it might be but immoral it aint.

The same could be said for recording TV on the old VHS or even digitally with a PVR. If you record a TV show with your PVR, you are making a copy. Is this immoral?

Now, if I was copying and selling this stuff, sure, I would be acting immorally... but making a copy of something I have paid for, for my use only, seems perfectly reasonable to me. So is making a copy of a TV show so I can watch it when its more convenient. Advertisers are paying the royalties here, and they dont care if you watch the ads immediately or later. In fact, it gives them extra advertising. In no way by recording the show for watching later have I deprived any person or company of any income, or abused their intellectual property.

Downloading is just an extension of all this, a part of the modern society we live in, and the production industries need to adapt. I download occasionally too, I admit it, but I have deprived no-one of any cash. If I couldnt have got it free, I wouldnt have got it, period. Ergo, if I dont download it, they get exactly the same amount of cash from me... none.

I mostly listen to the radio anyway lol...

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
1976243_460s_v1.jpg

This one is from 50 Cent's personal twitter account, he posted it the other day:
1_article-2085191-0F69576400000578-592_468x595%20copy.jpg

Another rapper:
100112_fazer1a.jpg

Rihanna's new house:
rihannahousex171.jpg

Shall I continue?

1975184_460s.jpg

1983536_460s.jpg

1973919_460s_v1.jpg

1968230_460s.jpg

1964927_460s_v1.jpg

LANGUAGE WARNING
1972963_460s_v1.jpg

1956633_460s_v1.jpg

Last edited:

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Wow you care more than most :) That woulld have taken damn near as long to put together as most of my diatribes :D