Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Memcals: Knock sensors and limp home resistor packs

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
I suspect the answer to this is a negative.

In the memcal how interchangable is the knock sensor and limp home resistors between cars?

For example imagine I have a VN6 and I get a memcal from a VP V8, remove the eprom and put a VN V6 program in. Will the knock sensor (if fitted) and CAL resistors (under the knock sensor) function?

Cheers

Mike

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
the cal resistors work ok, i dont know if its good for the engine wen it goes into limp home mode, but i used a memcal from a camira and limp home worked. car ran. knock sensors, im not so sure. havent tried. you can also run the car without cal resistors, but if memcal goes dead, car stops.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
It will/might run on limp home, but it's not a good thing. I'm sure anyone including me will swap you a V6 memcal for your V8 one

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
the esc circuits are pretty well interchangeable, there are supposed to be different trigger levels( different filtering) but ive never confirmed this, the resistor networks are not, the car wont run in limp mode.

Rob

TO4355

Reaction score
Members Ride
twin turbo 355 VN
iv used v6 memcals in the tuning of my 355 over the time

i found that the knock sensor works fine and limp mode works "ok".......runs but is a little rich

when running V8 binaries on v6 resistor packs the tune tends to be generally rich across the board compared to the v8 resistor packs

i only used the v6 memcals as i had easy access to a few through work but they interchange acceptibly if the bin is modified to suit

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Nice update now that it's been tested :)

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Do all VN-VP's have this limp home feature i only thought that it was on Early fords?.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yes they all have it, it's the little IC's under the knock sensor board in the memcal

Chuff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
Informative thread this one, however I have a question for the guys using a V6 memcal on a V8. What knock sensor are you using in the block, a V6 or a V8 one?

CATCH! :D