Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Merging Traffic on Freeways, Who has right of way?.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
even better when you slow down slightly to merge on after seeing the location of a few other vehicles and the people already on the freeway also do so, when you know they have the right of way in the first place.

have to say though, in a car, you should have no issue hitting the limit in the time.
in a fully loaded truck though sometimes it can be impossible. (ie, Dynon Rd onto citylink going towards the airport)

all it requires is common sense (unfortunately it rarely exists)
and for people to know the rules, and who has right of way, which unfortunately many do not know or freeze when they have no idea.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Fairly often I will move over to the next lane when there is an on ramp with a fair amount traffic merging onto the motorway, especially if there is heavy traffic. I do however ensure I match speed before doing a safe lane change (which includes indicating and then visually checking the lane is clear). I Don't actually travel in the LH lane on the motorway very often unless it's only a 2 lane motorway.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
^^^ move over one lane is the go if safe

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Merging should function like this

images

if only people were capable of looking a bit further down the road that the phone in front of them it probably would.