Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

mini spool breaking wheels studs

mahooody

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III ute ecotec
i just put a mini spool in and broke 4 wheels studs the same day i have been told i can get stronger wheels stud but i ave called around and no 1 has knows anything about them, if anyone knows where in victory i can get them it would be awesome.

thanks

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
they shouldnt snap if your using the correct wheel nuts and tighten them to 110Nm

mahooody

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III ute ecotec
i tightened them with a rattle gun so i would have thought they would be tight enough. do they break if the nuts come loose.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
the studs are snapping from being overtight.... use a torque wrench, set it to 110 Nm and you will find you wont have that problem ever again trust me

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
my diffs basically locked... never had a problem with breaking studs.... im a mechanic and ive never seen anyone complain of broken studs with a minispool... the wheel nuts are overtightened which stretches the thread and weakens the stud which causes it to snap... thats why there is a torque spec for wheelnuts to allow the stud to ahve some amount of stretch without breaking

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i tightened them with a rattle gun so i would have thought they would be tight enough. do they break if the nuts come loose.

you should never use a rattle gun to put wheelnuts on, some tyre place did it on one of my old cars and cross theaded 2, i had a hard time getting em off again, bent a wheel brace doing it so go figure.

you can get stronger studs from arp but here designed for motorsport use.

as peanuts inc. said, use a torque wrench to do it properly ( i've actually only come across one tyre place that uses one but there balancing is crap so i don't use em anymore, i always retorque em at home now)