Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Minor accident, who's at fault?

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Got into a minor accident the other day and want to know who you guys think is at fault.

So story is that I was going to pickup pizza, went to pull up, reversed and bumped into the car behind me. I indicated that I was going to park and put it into park before coming to a complete stop. Reversed and bumped the corner of his bumper with the rear corner of mine.

The damage:
My car - few scratches and a little crack, broken tail light.
His car - big dent in the front corner.

I think it was his fault for not pulling up in time and not leaving me enough room to park. If he had stopped about 20cm further back then I wouldn't have hit him.

Last edited by a moderator:

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
To me it looks you stopped , didn't check your mirrors , put car in reverse and hit the car behind it looked like he was clear of your car , you didn't see him . I think you're at fault , sorry .

Eevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
the law says the person reversing must give way to everyone else.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
To me it looks you stopped , didn't check your mirrors , put car in reverse and hit the car behind it looked like he was clear of your car , you didn't see him . I think you're at fault , sorry .

Put it into reverse just before you see the falcon in frame and he was still pulling up a bit after I started reversing.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Judging by the footage I would say you are at fault.
It sure did take him a long time to slow down, but he still came to a complete stop before your vehicle, so the you were the one that ran into him.

Hopefully it gets sorted easily in the end though.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Exactly , sorry to say , it seems strange that people reverse into parking spots as well , and he had stopped before you reversed and it looks more like a Nissan than a Falcon as well , also the way the vehicle was shunted back , and this is with my Coppers glasses on , you clearly didn't see what was behind , when you started reversing , sorry dude I think you are at fault , now it's up to the insurer . :supersad:

Last edited:

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Happened to me when I was on my P-Plates

You are reversing, so your fault

Due care, didn't give way

SM1D3Y

aka Drew
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais L67
Unfortunately you are at fault in this situation, but it illustrates a all to common lack of courtesy between drivers on our streets.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
According to the law, cam car is in the wrong.

According to courtesy, hes a dick (assuming you indicated early enough that you were parking. Now i couldn't see any reflection, but if your indicator was only put on any time after the crossing, thats too late in that situation)

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Yeah, I have to say the same as everyone else. According to law it is the vehicle reversing that has to give way. Despite the fact that a lot of drivers are oblivious to the fact that people are reversing, or don't care, it is still the responsibility of the reversing vehicle.

They obviously for some reason had no idea that you were reversing, most likely lack of attention.
But what I do in that situation (before I park or pulling out in reverse) is put it the car into reverse, and creep backwards and they will get the idea and reverse themselves if they have enough room. Most people don't want to dent their cars so it works most of the time, some people are just dicks though and you can't do much about that.