Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

mirror covers how to get off

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 vy commodore ute
hey does any one know how to remove the top cover on the mirror so i can paint ?

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
it's tricky, you can't just rip them off. they are only held in with tabs. go to the wreckers and practice on one. Or do what i did and paint it on the car.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 vy commodore ute
ok then so would you have to remove the whole mirror , what kind of paint did you use and did it work good ?

blue22

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina-gone. VS Acclaim Wagon now
it's tricky, you can't just rip them off. they are only held in with tabs. go to the wreckers and practice on one. Or do what i did and paint it on the car.

They are glued on with foam as well as 3 tabs X2 in the mid and one angled towards the inside,mebe possible with a heat gun,but likely the cover will be damaged on removal

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
I ripped one off to investigate - I put my money on bloody impossible to 'dismantle' without destroying.

To paint - mask them up and go from there. I did a couple, and was happy with the results. Scratch up original finish to improve adhesion with some fine grit, Plastic Primer and coupla coats of colour, wet&dry sand in between coats. Best if you do both so they match. I started with one, but it was obvious - and that was on a white car, so I did both and was happy.

Last edited:

steve44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
yeah, i painted mine without taking them off.
pretty easy
O take the mirrors off the car ; )