Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Missing my build plate!

bucknaked

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSS
Hi, I was looking at trading my car on the weekend and the sales guys said my build plate was missing off my radiator support panel; they showed me the spot where it should have been fitted. I had work done on the car years ago and this arm was replaced. The dealers said this is a real big deal and would make it hard for me to sell this car, potentially costing me 3 or 4 grand!
Is this true or is this part of some bargaining exercise on their part?

My panel beater said if there was one they would have reinstated it as they cut out all the damage and transfer parts over to the new parts
It was pointed out where it should possibly have been fitted on the replaced part and its obvious there was never anything there.
The compliance plate is still mounted near the dash under the bonnet
Not sure where to go from here so any comments welcome

Regards Terry

bucknaked

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSS
Update:
called Holden and they said its not a legal requirement, weren’t sure what else to tell me also spoke with Holden used cars and he said it was a big deal but by the end of the conversation he was saying they can print out a report on my car that shows way more info than was on the build plate so if I can present that its no biggie, he thought it was probably a bit of leverage on the dealers part to reduce my trade-in dollars

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
go to the wreckers and grab another one. its only pop riveted on.. theres not that many different combos out there

bucknaked

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSS
no S*** really? I got the impression it was unique
Holden said they will send me an authentication letter stating all the info about my car, so surely this will cover what the dealer was on about?
only bugger is it draws attention to the fact it was in an accident, even though it wasn't that big

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
The plate on the radiator support panel, is unique to the vehicle, I have a pic of mine that I took whilst taking a pic of the engine bay on my VX SS,
it contains the following info, Model, Body Number (VIN), Trim, Paint, Build Date, Engine Type, Trans, A/C, Susp, Axle.

bucknaked

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSS
yeah I thought it did, anyway hopefully they will be satisfied with the Holden letter, i can even show them the repair invoice to show why it may have been lost

thanks for your replies