Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mission on a new Gearbox OR solution!

Wheatley098

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE SSV Ute
Hey guys!

As you know I own a VY SS Series 2 03 Car and lately (Literally just 2 hours ago) the gear box is playing up on gears 3 and 4. The gear stick locked itself in 4th and I had to violently hit it out of gear because it was THAT stuck I kid you not! After then this is when **** him the fan, Whenever I go to shift into 3rd or shift in to 4th (YES THE CLUTCH IS IN :p) there is a slight gear grinding noise quite loud and sounding as if the clutch isn't in...

Gear 1,2,5,6 slide and lock in perfectly, Feel firm and tight (Good)
Gear 3,4 Slide in like butter, Loose and not locking in at all (Bed)

From other forums I have read Im taking a guess that it maybe the Syncro's within the box, Been told a new box is gonna be less cost and easier then the fix/replacement of a new syncro (Whatever that is)

Just wanting to know has anyone else ever experience this before?

Additional question:

IF I do end up getting a new gearbox can i still drive my car to and from work even with the grinding ? (Wont matter cause i'll be getting a new box or will it effect something else..?) At the momment I drive from 1st, to 2nd, Rev it tits off and get into 5th... No grinding that way but it sucks!

profat

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt olympic model
Sounds like syncros have failed... they are made of a brass alloy and tend to grind away and float through out the gearbox causing more damage.

Driving is possible but not recommended unless you know how to revshift (a dying art these days) .second hand boxes could have similar issues in near future so a rebuilt exchange would be a more viable course of action