Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Missle Switch With Neons

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
Hey guys, just a quick question, i bought a missle switch the other day(pic at end of post) and im just wondering how i would wire it up? ive for a fair idea of what im doing but just wanna make sure.
First off, my car is a '96 VS Commodore....Now im going to have 2 neons in the front footwells, connected to the missle switch so when i flick the switch they turn on :yeah: lol, Im using the cigarette lighter wiring and getting rid of it(cigi lighter that is) and putting the switch inplace of it. Now on the switch that you can see in the pic, it has two connection points, one 'OFF' one 'ON', do i connect the positive wire from the neons to the 'ON' connection and the power supply to the 'OFF' or do i connect it all to the 'ON' connection? and then i just ground it to the chassis(or the ground wire from the cigi wiring)
The fuse that is inline with it now is 20A, should i down side that to like 5 - 10A or not?
Also, maybe sometime in the future, i might be putting a neon under each front seat at the back so there is a neon in the back and maybe one in the boot, would all that be fine powered from the same power source and switch? would it be too much of an overload and what would you recommend the fuse size be for that.
Any help appreciated, and please keep smarta$$ comments to yourself about the neons :p :yeah:

Nick

Attachments

• 27_1_b.jpg
    27_1_b.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 418

haloeight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato SII L67 S/C V6
buy a stato...theyre so bling they already have footwell and rear floor lighting!

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Pretty easy, just have the postive wire coming into the switch then going out to your neons. Put the fuse after the switch so if something bad happens your switch is protected.

L8N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS COMMODORE
um well if you plan on adding more neons later then i would get a four way adaptor for the ciggy plug then plug the neons in to this. then cut off the ciggy plug on the end of the 4way then cut the wires of the ciggy lighter indash wire the +ve to the +ve and -ve to the -ve then find were in the line you want the switch and cut one of the wires be it +ve or -ve as the purpose of the swicth is only there to brake the circute. and mabey put a fuse in the line as well althouh you may not need to as there is one under the dash for the ciggy lighter and there should b one in the end of each neon plug.

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
i have a four way adaptor and want to wire it in. the switch i have though is a LED switch with three pins. one says pwr (power), one says acc. (accessories) and the other says gnd (ground). how should i wire it up? power from battery to power pin, adaptor +ve wire to acc. pin and leave the ground pin while running the -ve wire off adaptor to a ground point on the body?

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
i know that i have to have +ve to +ve and the ground the neg, but i just need to know how i wire the +ve wires upto the switch, like do i wire the battery power wire to the 'OFF' Terminal and the Neons positive to the 'ON' terminal? or do i wire it all upto the one? so when i flick the switch they come on

StealthX

Reaction score
Website
www.stealth.nismo.org
Members Ride
HSV VX Clubsport.
ok Bangers:
Power - Connect to your power source
Acc - Connect to the possitive wire of your accessory
Ground - Connect to Ground
**Ground from your accessory Grounded also**

Nick88
Basically how a switch works it opens and closes a connection in a circuit. When closed, the connection is made and electricity can flow. When open, the connection is broken and electricity will not flow through to your accessory.

[Power]--- / ---(+)[_neon_](-)--------[Ground] << not connected * / * indicates switch
[Power]--------(+)[_neon_](-)--------[Ground] << connected

see what i mean?

Place the switch where you like, connect 1 pin on the switch to your preffered power source, and connect the positive wire of your neon to the other pin on the switch. *connect the ground/negative wire of your neon to a ground*

I hope that helps a little, give us a yell if i have confused you :p
Cheers
Mike.

Last edited:

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
Thankz StealthX, thats exactly what i needed! i thought that that was what i needed to do, only a simple answer:p
Nick

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
HAHA, lol.......just had to do this, 34 POSTS!!!!YAY!