Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mixed info on Ecotec to L67 computers. ?? need clearing up..

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
try putting your car in neutral, and try starting it there if so then then your vehicles gear selector linkage is out, if not then its a faulty inhibitor switch or its incorrectly adjusted, or its a faulty starter motor.

Basically its one of three things
Incorrectly adjusted Selector linkage,
Faulty Inhibitor Switch,
Faulty Start motor.

voodoo VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Hi guys just thought I’d share my information on my own problem,

First a big thanks to everyone for there suggestions and, Leith @ Mad Race Engines, Southport Gold Coast..

I found out the started should be running no matter what the computer is doing, register to the car or not. Apparently the started will even run with no computer in it!

So I played around with the fuse and relays trying to get the started to pick in, no luck.
So I took the started motor shroud plate off and shorted it out. (Screw driver from positive to negative. Direct on the back of started motor) took 10-15 hits but it finally spun. So then with the ignition in the on position I ran a short peace of wire from the start relay. (located in fuse box in engine bay, top left corner) to the positive terminal on battery) starter engaged engine turned over and kept running first hit !! Bamm it was like a dream !!

The standard computer with the super-6 chip both were still plugged in from yesterdays efforts.

So after the excitement of finally hearing the engine running, I couldn’t quite get past the almighty rattles and sounds of something being right up the ****.
Some of you may know I lost a nut in this engine while getting it ready to fit. The nut was found and extracted but here’s me with past motor experience as fair as getting the injector rail off, trying to fit a complete engine and gearbox..

Well I thought I had F-ed something up real bad, once I had a good listen to the sound I thought it was the plate between the engine and gear box rubbing on the fly wheel. So I pulled it out and bamm the sound was gone, only to head another not quite so bad sound coming from the front of the engine. Well after another chat to Leith and telling him about the hole nut thing he suggested dropping both belts off and running the engine to determine if the sound was coming from the front pulleys, charger of internal.

Well both belts off, no sound! Charger belt on, no sound! Charger belt off, main drive belt on, real bad sound!! So thinking it’s the water pump I pulled that off and swapped off the old engine, (witch looked and felt to be in better nick anyway) no difference. So then pulled the power steering pump off and swapped that. Well an absolute mission but you wouldn’t read about it absolutely no bad sounds.

So besides the starter thing needing to be sorted out the car seems to be running well at this stage, now if the rain will piss off for half a moment I’ll top the power steering up in the morning and back it out off the shed. We can only hope for the best.

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi guys just thought I’d share my information on my own problem,

First a big thanks to everyone for there suggestions and, Leith @ Mad Race Engines, Southport Gold Coast..

I found out the started should be running no matter what the computer is doing, register to the car or not. Apparently the started will even run with no computer in it!

So I played around with the fuse and relays trying to get the started to pick in, no luck.
So I took the started motor shroud plate off and shorted it out. (Screw driver from positive to negative. Direct on the back of started motor) took 10-15 hits but it finally spun. So then with the ignition in the on position I ran a short peace of wire from the start relay. (located in fuse box in engine bay, top left corner) to the positive terminal on battery) starter engaged engine turned over and kept running first hit !! Bamm it was like a dream !!

The standard computer with the super-6 chip both were still plugged in from yesterdays efforts.

So after the excitement of finally hearing the engine running, I couldn’t quite get past the almighty rattles and sounds of something being right up the ****.
Some of you may know I lost a nut in this engine while getting it ready to fit. The nut was found and extracted but here’s me with past motor experience as fair as getting the injector rail off, trying to fit a complete engine and gearbox..

Well I thought I had F-ed something up real bad, once I had a good listen to the sound I thought it was the plate between the engine and gear box rubbing on the fly wheel. So I pulled it out and bamm the sound was gone, only to head another not quite so bad sound coming from the front of the engine. Well after another chat to Leith and telling him about the hole nut thing he suggested dropping both belts off and running the engine to determine if the sound was coming from the front pulleys, charger of internal.

Well both belts off, no sound! Charger belt on, no sound! Charger belt off, main drive belt on, real bad sound!! So thinking it’s the water pump I pulled that off and swapped off the old engine, (witch looked and felt to be in better nick anyway) no difference. So then pulled the power steering pump off and swapped that. Well an absolute mission but you wouldn’t read about it absolutely no bad sounds.

So besides the starter thing needing to be sorted out the car seems to be running well at this stage, now if the rain will piss off for half a moment I’ll top the power steering up in the morning and back it out off the shed. We can only hope for the best.
Awesome.... faulty start motor..... i havent really had experience with one of these but they are a bitch to get to on a 4cylinder corolla LOL.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
haha didnt i say way back in post 5 to just wind it over using the terminal at the starter LOL.good to see she runs mate now just to track down why it wont wind over.

voodoo VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
yeh we still got some drama's. the wire from relay is my starter at the moment.

engine should and feels real good, wheel spins at 80km/h half excelaration. wow

but something is clunking real bad when changing from park drive, and start of excelaration. i reckon its the box from when the car had the prang, the mount on rear of gox was't in one peace and both engine mounts were bent. i have used my mounts off old motor. but i am still trying to work out what is a miss if anyone has any ideas??

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
what ya mean miss??

saying a miss about a engine to me means its misfiring on one or more cylinders if thats what you mean?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
did it get hit up the rear or in the front rear enders can shove all the impact up the driveshaft into the box same with front enders too.ive seen diffs bent like bannanas from frontal impact.could be slack in the universal joints and diff allso.

voodoo VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
what ya mean miss??

saying a miss about a engine to me means its misfiring on one or more cylinders if thats what you mean?

as in what the problem is man? nar they all firing at this stage.

voodoo VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
did it get hit up the rear or in the front rear enders can shove all the impact up the driveshaft into the box same with front enders too.ive seen diffs bent like bannanas from frontal impact.could be slack in the universal joints and diff allso.

It was the drivers side down a guard rail on the HWY. buggered the front drivers wheel and hold side panel damage not too deep as engine wasn’t squashed in. the engine mounts were bent to the front so I imagine the engine was pushed forward with a fair amount of force.

I have my diff in the car but I have used the engine box and tale shaft from the wreck, it would be nice if it was the tale shaft but somehow I don’t think so. It feels tight and tighter then my old shaft into gearbox, witch is why I chose to use both. The super-6 box also feels tighter changing gears with selector. But the cluck is there when changed from revise to drive with foot on the brake. So if the tale shaft were to have some sort of bend in it I would think it wouldn’t show unless car was in motion.

There was a 5mm packing plate under gearbox rear mount on ecotec but not on super-6 box, I fitted this but took it out today thinking that may have had the box slightly out of alignment. I had to leaver the box over to the drivers side to bolt it back in at the rear gearbox mount plate I thought that was odd it was 5-10mm out, but was right when I first bolted it up with the packer in there.

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
It was the drivers side down a guard rail on the HWY. buggered the front drivers wheel and hold side panel damage not too deep as engine wasn’t squashed in. the engine mounts were bent to the front so I imagine the engine was pushed forward with a fair amount of force.

I have my diff in the car but I have used the engine box and tale shaft from the wreck, it would be nice if it was the tale shaft but somehow I don’t think so. It feels tight and tighter then my old shaft into gearbox, witch is why I chose to use both. The super-6 box also feels tighter changing gears with selector. But the cluck is there when changed from revise to drive with foot on the brake. So if the tale shaft were to have some sort of bend in it I would think it wouldn’t show unless car was in motion.

There was a 5mm packing plate under gearbox rear mount on ecotec but not on super-6 box, I fitted this but took it out today thinking that may have had the box slightly out of alignment. I had to leaver the box over to the drivers side to bolt it back in at the rear gearbox mount plate I thought that was odd it was 5-10mm out, but was right when I first bolted it up with the packer in there.

if the transmission mounts at bent then it probably would of been a high impact, i would check the gear selector linkage as that can make the gearbox clunk if incorrectly adjusted. if not check the universal joints.