Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mobil 1 / ecotech

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
ecotec said:
cheers - I think I will run the 10w / 30 in my VT - I'm currently running GF2 10w / 30 with a bitron additive and always have - no problems with it - just want a better oil in my ecotec. How much is a bottle of Mobil 1 10w / 30 set you back?

5 litres of Mobil 1 10w/30 will set you back $80. Not cheap at all.

grafxworld

KLRBASS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT GTR EXEC S1 - SOLD off
I buy it from stupid cheap auto or autoburn for a lot less than that, usaully 45-50 bucks on special plus filter

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
grafxworld said:
I buy it from stupid cheap auto or autoburn for a lot less than that, usaully 45-50 bucks on special plus filter

Sorry dude, but I've shopped and called around everywhere for prices. Mobil 1 10w/30 is $79.95 at supercheap, Autobarn and everywhere that sells oil. However the Mobil 1 5w/50 is $64 for 5 litres... The price depends on the grade when it comes to Mobil 1.

ecotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exectutive
Scooter79 said:
5 litres of Mobil 1 10w/30 will set you back $80. Not cheap at all.
\
cheers - well I guess it's like anything - you get what you pay for.

grafxworld

KLRBASS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT GTR EXEC S1 - SOLD off
my rotary ran the synthetic oil for 11 years with one engine failure , due to it being a on race engine thats not bad , I broke a rotor gear sheer pin which cause one rotor to keep going and the other to lock up and sheer off the pins which hold the gear in place. but the motor was turning 10,000 rpm at the time racing a AC Cobra, so I get wat I deserve on a motor with 526,000 miles on it. the motor stayed running on one rotor for nearly 3 months before it finally gave up and wouldn't turn anymore.
the other parts of that car all ran redline synth. oil and amsoil for the life of the car from 47,000 miles on which was how many miles the car had when I bought it
the motor was built in california at racing beat and they only use amsoil , it was there sponsor in the 80's

now it's royal purple- see below
Royal Purple Synthetic Lubricants 20W50 Street (per qt)
http://www.royalpurple.com/techa/faqsa.html#re1
Racing Beat has been recommending the use of synthetic oils in rotary applications for several years. Our research has found that synthetic oils provide superior friction reducing between sliding surfaces, reduced foaming, and lower oil temperatures. We have tested several different synthetic oils and have found that while most offered improved wear and lower oil temperatures, none offered any horsepower gains... except for Royal Purple!

Our in-house testing has yielded up to a 2% performance increase after changing from mineral-based oil to Royal Purple Synthetic Motor Oil. How could this be? Jim Mederer, co-founder and chief engineer at Racing Beat, was truly puzzled. With over 35 years of professional racing experience under his belt, he has seen and tried just about every “new” lubricant that hits the market. All offered better wear and lower oil temperatures but none offered any horsepower improvement. After spending time consulting with the engineers at Royal Purple to better understand the reason for the horsepower gain, it was explained that the secret was the proprietary ingredient “Synerlec”. This Synerlec ingredient provides an ultra-slick film on internal engine components to significantly reduce power-robbing friction. Less friction equals more power!

Other professional engine builders have confirmed that Royal Purple Synthetic Racing Oil delivers measurable horsepower gains. Independent dyno tests show increases up to 5% (on smaller displacement engines) with nothing more than an oil change.

Rotary vehicle owners, do you have questions such as these?

"Can Royal Purple Motor Oil be used in a rotary engine?"
"Mazda makes a statement in the Owner’s Manual not to use synthetic oils in a rotary engine, why do you say that it is OK?"
"I heard that synthetic oil doesn't burn like mineral based oils and will coat the inside of the engine with deposits."

Well, we have some good news! Royal Purple has added a section to their FAQ page on their corporate website that answers these important questions. To review this page, follow this link.

azzss

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY 9.5 SSV Sportswagon M6 & 08 prado D4D GXL M6
I am running mobil 1 10w30 in my vy2 calais ecotec with no dramas (only done 30000kms though). If you are keen on sticking to this oil, duck down to your local mobil depot and buy it in a 20L drum. About $210 or thereabouts and just buy a drum pump.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Try something else..

The Penrite SYN range. It looks promising.. After I finish my 20litre drum of Penrite Gas 10, that's the first thing I'm trying..

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
Mobil 1 isnt that great. I know of locally made products that blow it out of the water in wear rate tests, running temperatures and dyno tests and costs a hell of a lot less.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
bradcad said:
Mobil 1 isnt that great. I know of locally made products that blow it out of the water in wear rate tests, running temperatures and dyno tests and costs a hell of a lot less.

Names! We want names!