Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mod Ideas - Possibly less common ones

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
Hi all. I've got a stock VSII 3.8 and would like to add a bit of performance to it. There seem to be a few different ideas on how to do this so i'll ask for general thoughts on it. I don't know a huge amount about cars, but I know how most systems work. It's the little things I struggle with. Please let me know what the point of each of these upgrades is and what benefits they would have on a STOCK commodore.

A couple of ideas:

Lightweight flywheel - not sure what the benefits are, but if my logic serves me correctly, it would allow the engine to rev and slow down quicker than normal, increasing engine responsiveness

2.5" cat back exhaust + extractors - increasing engine power by reducing backpressure in the exhaust system

V8 throttle body - I know this can apply for a VN but not sure whether there would be any benefit for the ecotec v6

roller rockers - I know what they are and how they work but dont know what the benefits are.

high flow fuel pump + injectors - obviously allowing more fuel to be pumped into the engine on demand but I would assume this isn't really neccessary until you've got something else in there to cram more air in (i.e. turbo/supercharger)

And on the topic of superchargers & turbos, which is cheaper to get and install (wouldn't dare touch this myself) and for a turbo, would one have to get appropriate headers to make it fit? if not, what is involved in fitting one?

I know theres a whole lot of questions in there but I am trying to fill the gaping holes in my knowledge of these things :)

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
V8 throttle body only suits buick motors, VN-VR, you can get bored ones for the ecotechs tho. Roller Rockers help by increasing the lift on the intake side. Fuel pump and injectors wont be needed at all.
AirStrike :air:

Bakes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII Ute
Flywheel. I think you are correct about the acceleration/ deceleration of the engine with a lighter flywheel due to less inertia. The idea of the flywheel though, and its heavy weight is to conserve the momentum of the crank so it will keep rotating. A lighter flywheel would (i assume) also give a less comforatble ride, but when you're modifying a car, who cares. I suppose also, if it were too light, you may have trouble cranking to start the engine.

You're also right about the exhaust, but too large (not enough back pressure) can have a negative effect of losing usable torque/ power. Your top end may be better, but who drives their car all the time redlining?

As well as increasing lift of the valves, the roller in their name comes from the bearings used in them. The use of roller rockers instead of pressed rockers also decreases friction in the valvetrain, freeing up more power.

For a turbo, manifolds would need to be fabricated, as the exhaust gases turn the turbine on the turbo. This is different to a blower, which is directly attached ( well, via a belt) to the crank. This eliminates spool time (time to reach high flow) but pull a bit more power from your engine compared to a turbo.

Sorry it was long, hope it helps.

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
What I hope to achieve is more bottom end power really. Therefore I'd lean towards a blower rather than a turbo, to eliminate the lag.

Short of that though I'm not really sure what (on the cheaper end of the scale!) I can do to achieve that.

I don't drive illegally in any way so the aim is to have something that will be quick off the mark and possibly chirp into 2nd or even 3rd on those nice freeway on-ramps :yeah: