Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mods for my Lumina

HowMat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
Hey all, went to a Highway meet last night in my standard VZ Lumina, and now envy all those mean looking commodores! So I'm just looking for a list of easy to do at home stuff to spruce it up a bit, or even if there are some things I should look at which will help it look as sick as some of those other rides?

maybe a roof spoiler? And I think I'd like to get it bagged, and definitely get an exhaust system, so any help would be great! Thanks to anyone who has some info and ideas

VZ Lumina

slyr23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
no mate... no roof spoilers
but you could get a body kit from a VZ S or something along the lines and attach it. I'd recommend getting a nice set of rims ( and I mean nice NOT that massive chrome, bedazzled dinner plate ****)
Performance wise.
I'm planing to is install a new intake manifold called a CPR6

HOLDEN V6 ALLOYTEC MANIFOLD - Mace Engineering Group

And then extractors and new exhaust system
Aim for a 2.25" one 2.5" is too big.
Remember that a good exhaust system is on of the most bang for your buck mods you can do and it also increases the looks and sound.

I'd also look at a CAI to go with your new manifold.

Right there is under 3k and will give you a beast of a lumia :)

Keep in mind that most of those meets are about looks not performance so I'd recommend a decent sound system and a few blingy lights. Don't aim for bass only aim for clarity and a perfect balance its much more impressive.

New head lights and tail lights make a huge difference in a cars look.
Also changing the badge is a stupid fad you own a holden be proud of the lion you own not the cross you dont.
If you want to put any badges on it put an iconic S on it or something.
Remember that when it comes to car modding, to many fancy features ruin a car. True beauty is in the finer details thats what seperates an "arts and craft" car and a master piece.

Choose a colour scheme and stick to it!!!
To many colors look horrible and I've never seen a rainbow car that impressed me.

Stick to white headlights or blue at most not purple or green and all that ****. They are to be seen as pure.
Do not get a cheap looking super cheap auto gear knob they really can wreak the premium feel of any car. Make sure it matches the steering wheel not your radio.

Last edited:

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Lol its a stock V6 commodore....not much you can do besides rims and lower.

No roof spoiler or any of those terrible P plater sounding ideas

If you make a V6 loud you will definately not be the envy of the crowd and do ricer mods like roof spoilers etc the car will not be "sick" as you mention in your first post.....they will just laugh...unless you want to make it appealing to P platers with their baseball caps on the wrong way then by all means do the mods above.

Stock V6 = Rims/Low......keep it clean and simple

Also if you are thinking of bags, start saving........its a few k minimum to get a proper legal bag setup right round with controllers and self leveling etc

HowMat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
I am a p plater! Trust me, i wouldve saved to get a supercharged V6 or a V8 instead of just a standard 6, maybe I'll just keep the lumina standard as ####, and wait for another full year until i get my full lisence.

Thanks for the help all!

VZ Lumina

HowMat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
my apologies for the swearing! oops!

let me rephrase, ill keep my car stealthy and stock, maybe throw a bit of money at an upgraded sound system, and maybe even an airbag set up? bot sure yet.

Thankyou everyone!

VZ Lumina

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
that P plate in your window is cop bait enough, bagging it is throwing yourself to the lions. and please, don't try to make your 6 sound like a 8 or any louder than it is. just don't. wait until you can legally drive a 8 if you want something loud. if you must do anything to the zorst make sure it's not leaking/whistling or rattling about and maybe add a nice new tip for it instead. there are heaps of "knock on" ones out there. and don't get one of those turbo whistles either.

ricer mods in general just look like ass (unless you're a ass guy) even on ricers. if you're going to put led's in your car, do it so they are actually there for a reason and not "just because". like adding a strip to the boot/glovebox to lighten it up a little. I generally now dislike the look of led's in footwells and interior lamps, they are just too white, cold and harsh looking for me. although I do own 2 statesmans and not a single commodore so the warm light the older style globes throw off adds to the limousine ambience to the inside.

add a bodykit if you wish but if you do, don't badge up your car. it's a lumina, not a s or a ss. if you're embarrassed of the fact that it's a lumina, de-badge it. you may also consider getting some interior bits from a calai or a statesman, like leather or plush velour seats and door trims. most swap in right away with little modification (except statesman rear seats). if you're handy with a rattle can, spraying dash inserts simple colours (gloss and piano blacks) generally looks good depending if the rest of the interior is of a similar colour. dark window tints look good on lighter cars, some contrast is pleasing to the eye.

wheels really do make or brake a car. a nice set of holden wheels looks good but big wheels only really look good on big cars with low and less tyre. pick wheels that compliment the shape and colour of the car. if your car has some curves but more straight angular lines, go for a wheel of similar design. wheels should never draw more attention than the car would but they should look nice.

stay away from those crystal/chome altezza style headlights/tail lamps and angel eye driving lights. it's not a audi.

what I've said is my own personal opinions, keep in mind others will have theirs and they may differ but it's your car. if you do any bad mods to it, people will make their opinions known to you, if you choose to take them on is up to you.

InSaNe x Cr3aM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ EXECUTIVE
I've got a VZ exec, first car
Mods so far;
Colour coded dash inserts
Colour coded engine and radiator covers
Steering wheel, shifter, handbrake all leather with satin chrome inserts
Caprice 8 way electric leather interior
Cream roof, pillars etc all swapped for black items
Hand polished intake manifold and cold air intake
Twin 2.25 chrome tips
Lowered on ssls with 18s
Slotted rotors

Bought it with a blown engine replaced it and my gearbox in the garage.
All done by hand with no mech experience just learned off the forums and got to it.

Hope that helps at all

Cheers