Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Moisture in SSV ute tail lights

Benzito

Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 VE SSV Ute
Hi people, new member here,
I just purchased an SSV ute(MY10 model) recently and noticed the other day it obviously doesn't have perfectly sealed tail lights. I washed it on Friday and then it sat in the garage until Sunday. On Sunday I had it parked in the sun and noticed internal condensation in the tail lights. Is this a common issue? I've never had a problem with the seals on stock tail lights before, only those Chinese after market ones.
I'm planning to pull them out and seal them up with some silicon, I've always done that with the aftermarket lights I've bought before installing them anyway, but I thought I would ask on here before I go to all the effort because maybe there is a simpler fix?
Has anyone experienced this before? Do you know the specific area the seal was lacking? How did you fix it?
I appreciate any help people can offer before I have to go smothering the seals with silicon. It just seems ridiculous for genuine lights that are less than 5 years old, to have to do this...

highlander_69r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SE
had this issue with my sedan. Left a wet car cover in the boot and the passenger side light was full of condensation. (had the car for over a year now and had no issue previously). unhooked it and placed it in the oven at 40 deg for about 50 mins and its all good.

Benzito

Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 VE SSV Ute
Thanks Highlander. So the oven treatment just softened the original sealer and let it re-seat itself, so to speak?
edit: I just thought, 40deg in the oven? The fitting would get hotter than that sitting in the sun on a summers day wouldn't it? Also, how did you put it in the oven? With the lens facing upwards? What did you sit it on, just a baking tray or something?

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
My Maloo tail lights do the same thing.

highlander_69r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SE
its cold as in qld, it doesn't get hot enough. remove the trays bar the bottom one, lens facing in and just let it bake away. check it now and then to make sure its going ok

Jamie Oliver special :)

Benzito

Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 VE SSV Ute
Thanks again highlander. But what do you mean by 'lens facing in'? Towards the back of the oven?
Also, does anyone else have any experience or advice to offer with fixing seals on tail lights?

highlander_69r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SE
Thanks again highlander. But what do you mean by 'lens facing in'? Towards the back of the oven?
Also, does anyone else have any experience or advice to offer with fixing seals on tail lights?

it really makes no difference I had the lens facing the back of the oven. aslong as you keep an eye on it and don't get to impatient with the temps it will be all good.

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
as long as the lens is facing up and not down it wont be a problem

wayneforrest

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
My MY 10 did the same thing with the right hand tail light had it replaced 3 times under warranty, seems ok now.

Benzito

Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 VE SSV Ute
Thanks B-man. I would have thought lens upwards makes more sense. But the rear half of the assembly would weigh more wouldn't it? Wouldn't that weight pressing down on the seal be better or is it just to stop the lens being damaged by touching the metal bits in the oven?
Wayne, I wish warranty were an option for me but it's a 4.5 year old car and I bought it privately and there was no extended warranty on it.