Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Monaro cold air intake

G

gen3v8

I have a vt 5.7 and have read in posts about a mcai.Can some post some pics or maybe explain it so i can uderstand and purchase one for my car.

kmbattle

Reaction score
Hey, Ive looked through heaps of threads here and on ls1.com but im still not exactly sure what parts are required to fit the mcai to my ute(vz ss). I was told that vz's have this intake standard. Yesterday I removed that big plastic panel thats clipped in on top of the radiator and found that the intake is just a hole in the airbox which sucks in warm air from behind the headlight.
Im thinking there must be a pipe which joins this hole to the slots cut in the top panel??? Hard to explain ill put some pics up.

Attachments

• IMG_0227.JPG
    IMG_0227.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 880
  • IMG_0229.JPG
    IMG_0229.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 815

slowr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vtII Clubsport M6
Hey,
Don't take my light hearted sarcasim to heart, but (there's always a BUT) I have posted stuff on here about 4 times all in different threads!

Anyway! what your after is here:
http://www.users.on.net/~pedroj/ute/vy_ute_airbox.html

Now that isn't the BEST way but google has about 10 different ways to do it.

I spose the best way would be to do the one that has the pipe going low to the ground, but who is going to notice the 1/10th? certainly not me!
this one is fine for what your after....

kmbattle

Reaction score
No worries mate, ive read through that page a few times but im still not sure if my car is missing part of the mcai??
Thanks

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
THe VZ already ahs the Shoud that we discribe as the manaro CAI as it was first used on the Manaro, Al you need do is remove the pipes and Cut another hole in both your air box and the Shroud. Good luck !

kmbattle

Reaction score
Hmmm.
This has me ****ed. I cant see any type of shroud near my airbox. Ive got a vz ute, is this a sedan only thing?

jaskel

Hoon Squad, Member No 1
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 Calais 5.7L LS1
it wont take warm air from behind your headlight, it will take fresh air being forced in from the front and under your car...

I did the 2 hole mod but made a mice big rectangle hole instead of a small round hole...gets alot more air in...running all pipes like in that pic is overated...

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
That pedro dude I don't understand why he put a piece of pipe in. Why couldn't he just cost the hole and leave as is?

kmbattle

Reaction score
You need the pipe to vent the cool air from behind the shroud into the airbox.

Barcode

lllllllllllllllll
Reaction score
kmbattle said:
Hey, Ive looked through heaps of threads here and on ls1.com but im still not exactly sure what parts are required to fit the mcai to my ute(vz ss). I was told that vz's have this intake standard. Yesterday I removed that big plastic panel thats clipped in on top of the radiator and found that the intake is just a hole in the airbox which sucks in warm air from behind the headlight.
Im thinking there must be a pipe which joins this hole to the slots cut in the top panel??? Hard to explain ill put some pics up.

I found on my ute same as yours that it does have the pipe which you are refering to that should be there
i would say that someone has taken it off at some stage
if you fit it you will lose the induction sound you have at present
If you want to do the mcai you will have to go to holden and but the shroud from the monaro which is different to whats fitted to the ss. this will then have to be modified as in the other posts
i am looking at doing a custom job which will allow me to open up the bottom of the air box even more
once i get a chance to get into it i will try and take some pics if possible