Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

More cooling issue's

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
Just changed the waterpump and thermostat 2 weeks ago as it was running abit warm after giving it abit of a spirited drive home , temp gauge was up over half and at 115 on the dash

All was good till today ?
40min run on the highway all was good , stopped for 10 mins at a shop then was driving for another 10mins in usual traffic no issues , stopped at a set of lights and the ol temp creep up appeared again . Heater on and air con fan on dropped it down to normal temp . Heater off and it crept back just over half ???

Intakes were down about yr ago
Radiator is bout 3.5yr old
Waterpump 2 weeks old
Thermostat 2 weeks old
Heater tap and all hoses are 1.5 yr old and not leaking
Rad cap is 6mths old

Im at a loss as this bloody thing seems to run hot alot ?
It was at 92 deg all the way home 35mins then hit the gateway bridge it went to 95 deg

Coming off highway it crept up to 100 and stsyed around there till i got home for another 15mins of driving

Im tipping a blocked radiator after getting the intakes down and all the **** has partially blocked the tanks

Any other ideas ????

D

devilly

take off engine cover and have a look for any coolant leaks going on,on top of the plenum,also around the thermostat cover,and down the front of the block.

i always seem to do a daytime check and then a night time check so you can see in all the cracks e.t.c

i'm thinking a slight leak going on somewhere that is allowing air into the system.or the valley cover gaskets need replacing.

whats the hoses like after a drive grab a thick rag and give a squeeze are they firm or sink ?

how long does it take for the gauge to move to half way mark ?

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
take off engine cover and have a look for any coolant leaks going on,on top of the plenum,also around the thermostat cover,and down the front of the block.

i always seem to do a daytime check and then a night time check so you can see in all the cracks e.t.c

i'm thinking a slight leak going on somewhere that is allowing air into the system.or the valley cover gaskets need replacing.

whats the hoses like after a drive grab a thick rag and give a squeeze are they firm or sink ?

how long does it take for the gauge to move to half way mark ?
Intakes done
New hoses and there firm at running temp
No leaks or coolant loss

Car does take abit to get up to running temp after sitting all night .

NFI were to go next

D

devilly

what degree thermostat did you put in it ? i just put in and 84 degree <--i think, to get ready for summer.

are the thermo fans kicking in properly ? at 104-105 i think it is both should kick in.

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
91 deg thermo
Fans are cutting in at 104
Might just bite the bullet and chuck a new radiator at it to eliminate that as the problem

Low speed fan cuts in at 104
High at 117

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
Well after a coffee , think , bit of a brain flutter it dawned on me that there was a 1ltr nulon concentrate bottle in the parts bag that came back to me
Im guessing the 1ltr is not gonna make a decent 50/50 mix and maybe the cause of my issues !
Pretty sure these ecotecs are a bastard if the coolant isnt correct for not cooling properly

D

devilly

i was gonna ask you how old the coolant was,but you only just had the water pump done,i think your onto it :) the only other idea i had was the oil if its a bit old or too thin.

and it doesn't sound like the coolant temp sensor if fans e.t.c are all turning on.

hopefully if you add the 1 liter the problem will go away.

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
i was gonna ask you how old the coolant was,but you only just had the water pump done,i think your onto it :) the only other idea i had was the oil if its a bit old or too thin.

and it doesn't sound like the coolant temp sensor if fans e.t.c are all turning on.

hopefully if you add the 1 liter the problem will go away.

Quick stop at the radiator shop on the way to work and he feels up and down the core =
Blockage in the radiator.

Hot at the top / cold at the bottom

New one going in wednesday

D

devilly

nice :) you were correct all along :) how much that gonna cost you ? and good to know how to check them for future reference :)

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
Radiator was blocked pretty bad but still doing its job until it was driven long periods then couldnt cool it quick enough in stop start driving , alot of scale in there blocking the cores
$440 removed old refit brand new and bled total cost !

If you can do it yourself would be cheaper again .

Brissy sth side !
http://www.autoairandradiators.com.au/