Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Most handy guage.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Likely the vacum line is not connected to the correct spot or there is a giant leak, remove the line and use a finger, no suction, connection problems, there will also be a very tiny restrictor placed in the hose at the guage end (comes with guage), so if the ID of the hose is 1/4" the actual diameter the guage gets would be a tiny .010" if that.

Without the restrictor it won't work well if at all, it will bounce all over the place with the rise and fall of the piston suction.

The pic is just showing a representation, every engine will have different amounts of vacum, so long as when with no throttle down hill it shows max vacum, and up hill with throttle open little or no vacum.

Either way it should connect on the manifold somewhere there is a take off point, or under the t/b, it should have more than just a little vacum, it may need a T piece in a current hose.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Put a T piece in the hose to your brake booster. This will give you constant vaccum.

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
one of the most useful gauges I think would be transmission oil temperature.

I have no idea why this is not standard equipment on most cars. It is just as important to know when your transmission is overheating as when your engine is. I plan on getting one of these as soon as I have a bit of spare cash to get someone to braze a temp sender into the trans oil pan.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Simplest way is to get another sump plug, a new one can't cost much, and then drill and tap it properly for the sender, not a hard job.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
shaggerz said:
one of the most useful gauges I think would be transmission oil temperature.

I have no idea why this is not standard equipment on most cars. It is just as important to know when your transmission is overheating as when your engine is. I plan on getting one of these as soon as I have a bit of spare cash to get someone to braze a temp sender into the trans oil pan.
I've read somewhere that you need to measure the transmission oil temperature before it goes to the trans cooler and returns to the sump. This way you measure the actual temp of the oil. Once it returns to the sump it mixes with the other 5 litres and you are not getting a representative temperature. Engines measure the coolant temp with a sensor in the head and not in the radiator tank. There's a good article on these at:
http://www.automatictransmission.com.au/release.asp?NewsId=12031