Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Motor and gearbox from auto to manual swap

Brenno85au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
hola all,

well my intention was to pull a motor and auto box out of one of my vl's, and replace it with another motor and 5 speed box from one of my other ones too. long story short it wont turn over.

i've swapped everything cant see any reasons for it- the fuel pump engages and all the lights and everything like normal will come on but it just doesnt start turning over the motor.

i've checked the leads to the starter motor and they all seem to have power.

so my thought is its something to do with the fact you cant only start an auto in park or neutral and now the manual is in it doesnt know what to do.
anyways i connected all the old wires back up to the old auto shifter and put the auto gearbox computer back in still nothing happens....

suggestions please if anyone else has had the same problem or has an idea of wot it could be. :D

P

phantomflyer

I think you need to have a detent switch connected so that when you depress the clutch, the engine will turn over. Check out a wiring diagram from a manual VL to see if I'm correct. Good Luck! :unsure:

Brenno85au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
:( i dont have any kinda workshop manual for a vl.

one of these switches....should be on all manual vls? cause i have the whole complete other car minus the motor and box i took out. but when i swapped the pedals on to the new one i didnt notice anything like that for the clutch pedal. theres only that little switch on the brake pedal for the lights and that's no good to me. and also where would i run it too? :hit: i got nothing. im only taking a stab in the dark by thinkin that its something to do with the fact a auto needs to start in park or neutral, i couldnt think of anything else it could be cause it all seems fine, plus i pulled out all the old **** to do with the auto and plugged in the manual gearboxes plug where it goes too. i got no freiken clue why it wont start turnin over :bang:

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
could there be a different relay set up somewhere? might need to swap the loom that hooks the box up with the loom out of the original manual car... i dont know though just taking a stab.

Brenno85au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
no that part is universal whether you have a manual or auto car, the plug which recieves for the manual gearbox is on all of them. and thats plugged in and seems to be fine cause i get the reverse lights on when i put it in reverse. sooo i dunno :eek:hmy:

Brenno85au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
well where was geniuses on this one?!

turned out to be something called an inhibitor switch which was still attached to the old automatic gearbox but is in no way needed for the manaul gearbox.
so its like round switch and the ony way to turn it is to slide something in which fits, so i might auctually leave it on and use it as a kill switch or something should be sweet i'll hide it somewhere :)