Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Motorcycle Exhaust Noise

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Lane filtering has been legal in Qld since 1 Feb hence the possible (please read this Raj) correlation with the higher fatalities. Also the idea of being safer at the front of the queque doesn't hold water. Just in the last month I have seen 3 riders get to the front of the queque and not go when the lights went green only to be knocked off by the cars going on the green light. One's head nearly went under a truck wheel. I have seen another rider try to split cars at 100km/hr. Him and his bike were in a very bad way. In addition to that are all the minor damage to motorbikes and car mirrors and scratches and dents to doors etc I have seen. I think like exhaust noise being wrongly claimed as a safety issue, lane filtering is also not improving safety and quite probably the reverse.

The instances you have cited would have happened if they were at the front of the queue or in the middle of the cars. Thats not lane filterings fault, its the fault of inattentive idiots and poor drivers.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
The instances you have cited would have happened if they were at the front of the queue or in the middle of the cars. Thats not lane filterings fault, its the fault of inattentive idiots and poor drivers.

Get your point Grennan. However, one of the arguments for lane filtering is that it prevents rear ending of motorcycles by cars at the back of the queue. Clearly this is still happening although at the front rather than the back of the pack.

Last edited:

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
Get your point Grennan. However, one of the arguments for lane filtering is that it prevents rear ending of motorcycles by cars. Clearly this is still happening although in the instances I have cited the motorcyclists can not blame the car drivers.

Of course they can - at no point does a car driver have the right to hit a motorcyclist simply because they arent taking off quick enough - it's the same whether you are in a car or bike, you can only go as fast as the car infront of you and if you choose to go faster you are liable for damage. It's like saying that if a learner driver is going slow then you have the right to hit them with your car?

The purpose of lane filtering is to prevent rear end collisions AT SPEED, which happens a lot when a driver is approaching stopped traffic but is focused on the car infront of the bike (because they didn't identify the bike)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
This thread has certainly digressed from the original post, but on the question of bike fatalities and causes, my two bob's worth.

How many of them occur at intersections or in situations where where cars fail to yield right of way or the driver's vision is obscured by the design of the car he/she is driving? My purpose in asking this question is based on my experience with my past two vehicles, both Captivas. The windscreen pillars on Captivas are so thick that they can hide a complete small car coming from your left at certain angles. It happens frequently when I get to the intersection at the end of my street. They'd have no trouble at all obscuring a bike. VE Commodores have been criticised for the thickness of their "A" pillars and many if not most modern vehicles tend to have much thicker pillars than in years past.

In addition, modern vehicles tend to let styling and aerodynamics influence the amount of glass area available. Rear and rear three-quarter vision is often very poor, particularly with the popularity of SUV's. It's often easy to fail to see a car from various angles, so missing a bike would be very simple.

Off track, I realise, but attributing increased bike fatalities to lane filtering alone might be overlooking other, very common factors which could influence the death rate.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Of course they can - at no point does a car driver have the right to hit a motorcyclist simply because they arent taking off quick enough - it's the same whether you are in a car or bike, you can only go as fast as the car infront of you and if you choose to go faster you are liable for damage. It's like saying that if a learner driver is going slow then you have the right to hit them with your car?

The purpose of lane filtering is to prevent rear end collisions AT SPEED, which happens a lot when a driver is approaching stopped traffic but is focused on the car infront of the bike (because they didn't identify the bike)

How can it happen a LOT AT SPEED when they are approaching stopped traffic. Even if they didn't identify the bike it would be low speed. The change to the laws was based on very limited overseas data and very very small trials in Australia. Australian authorities are still not properly classifying crashes and collecting accurate data. If and when this is done we will know the real story. As I have stated I have been riding for 40 years and have seen more accidents and dangerous situations since this law has been introduced. Have only ever seen bikes rear ended at the front of the queque.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Get your point Grennan. However, one of the arguments for lane filtering is that it prevents rear ending of motorcycles by cars. Clearly this is still happening although in the instances I have cited the motorcyclists can not blame the car drivers.

Are you on drugs? When someone is rear ended, at no point is it anyone's fault other than the vehicle that did the rear ending! I.e. if a car rear ends a motorbike in pretty much ANY scenario (and certainly in your example of taking off from the lights there is NO WAY there is an excuse for a car to rear end a motorbike simply because the light is green and the motorbike hasn't moved off yet) it's NOT the motorbike's fault.

Wow! I mean, unless of course it's all just coincidence. That'd be a coincidence!

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Are you on drugs? When someone is rear ended, at no point is it anyone's fault other than the vehicle that did the rear ending! I.e. if a car rear ends a motorbike in pretty much ANY scenario (and certainly in your example of taking off from the lights there is NO WAY there is an excuse for a car to rear end a motorbike simply because the light is green and the motorbike hasn't moved off yet) it's NOT the motorbike's fault.

Wow! I mean, unless of course it's all just coincidence. That'd be a coincidence!

Your still laughable Raj.

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
How can it happen a LOT AT SPEED when they are approaching stopped traffic. Even if they didn't identify the bike it would be low speed. The change to the laws was based on very limited overseas data and very very small trials in Australia. Australian authorities are still not properly classifying crashes and collecting accurate data. If and when this is done we will know the real story. As I have stated I have been riding for 40 years and have seen more accidents and dangerous situations since this law has been introduced. Have only ever seen bikes rear ended at the front of the queque.

It can happen very easily - a car thinks that it has much more room to stop when approaching traffic because they are looking at the car infront, then all of a sudden they feel a bump because there was actually a bike in that gap that they didnt see. Had they seen the bike they would know that their gap for slowing down is smaller and additional braking needs to be applied