Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Motorsport Edition, VFII HSV R8 or GTS?

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
It was interesting reading this thread again. Few comments saying MSEs would be $55k in a year.. 4 years later and my well used MSE with 25k kms is insured for $90k agreed value. I've had a blast in my car and still think it's amazing value vs a much more expensive HSV.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
It was interesting reading this thread again. Few comments saying MSEs would be $55k in a year.. 4 years later and my well used MSE with 25k kms is insured for $90k agreed value. I've had a blast in my car and still think it's amazing value vs a much more expensive HSV.

A wise investment.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
There probably wasn't a lot of Covid Tax included in the future predictions made in this thread prior to 2020 ... :)

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
There probably wasn't a lot of Covid Tax included in the future predictions made in this thread prior to 2020 ... :)

But it was all planned by the lizard people, in coordination with the saucer people, under the supervision of the reverse vampires.

2Rfz7Q.gif

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I'm glad I bought mine when I did (May 2019)
For those that buy a motorsports edition now, only time will tell how well it retains its value...

Today’s price has a high COVID tax and could make future depreciation a little painful as we get back to ”COVID normal”, especially if it’s not a garage queen and kept with low kms...

But equally, their desirability may mean they continue to hold onto their value dispute a return to sanity in other parts of the used car market, especially for those garage queens.

I can’t say which way the market would go as I’ve misplaced my crystal ball :rolleyes:
A wise investment.
A wise investment would have been buying shares in afterpay and especially it’s ilk during early 2020... Any perceived % increase in MSE value is trivial in comparison :p

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
A wise investment would have been buying shares in afterpay and especially it’s ilk during early 2020... Any perceived % increase in MSE value is trivial in comparison :p

But then he wouldn't own a Motorsport would he.

A wise car investment as far as a mass produced variant goes, a Commodore that doesn't have a name like Brock or HSV associated with it doesn't usually hold or increase it's value so early in it's life, if ever.

Not that I've ever purchased a car as an investment, it's a mugs game unless you're playing in the high end market with international appeal.

Or in the early 80's you bought your mate's A9X because he was bored with it and without really understanding what you'd eventually own, you left home and left it locked in your mum's garage under a cover collecting dust thinking one day you'll get around to modding it, some people just get lucky.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
But then he wouldn't own a Motorsport would he.
By the sound of it, @EternityDre bought it to drive and @Derekthetree seemed happy to buy it when he did rather than by it now when it’s more costly. Neither seemed to say it was an investment.

Yet if either bought $50k of Afterpay shares @. $30/ share in early jan 2020 and sold them in late jan 2021 @ $135/share, they’d now have $225k (of which they’d only pay tax on $87500 of it thanks to cgt discount). They‘d have even more if they held them for another month since they peeked at $155/share :p

Had any of us done that, we’d be able to afford to pay the current inflated prices for a new unregistered MSE with 35kms on the clock still wrapped in plastic :p The real question is would we actually do so or would we buy something else, and if so what?

Earning lots off “investment” cars is as you say a mugs game unless it’s something with international appeal for the wealthy. For the rest who have infrequently done well more out of normal cars, it has usually been lottery styled win driven by their love of the car rather that a well thought out investment plan :rolleyes:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
If we could find one now ....
A mate of mine bought a '14 GTS in Jan '18 with 6000km's on it, nice car like brand new. Paid 70k and reckoned he paid too much at the time. I asked him yesterday if he paid to much for his GTS that's done 400km since (6400 on the clock) and he laughed!

I bought a '15 340 R8 with 5500km's Jan '17 for 50k and sold it July last year with 7100km's for 65K and thought I did well. If I had a crystal ball, I wouldn't sold the R8, but I guess I couldn't buy an Aug '17 Redline Ute with 3500km's for 48K today either, so it's all good! Redline's were reasonably priced mid last year and went nuts suddenly.