Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mounting an amp in a Vs

RyVsAcclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Hi,
Found some awesome advice on here from everyone, so thanks already.
Wondering if anyone would be able to tell me the best place to mount an amp in a vs sedan. I don't want to go as far as building a custom boot or anything, just wanna get my amp secured and working and out of the way if possible. Stereo is not at a point where I want to show it off yet.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
some like to mount it upside down on the parcel shelf but the other option is make up some MDF to fit it behind a seat back ( vertical ) and bolt the amp to that? im against screwing into sub boxes for amps.

couple of basic ideas for you

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG UTE
just screw it to the back of the rear seats, in the boot. or shove it under the front seat, that way if you want to put it on display you wont have any visible marks if you decide you want to move it

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Against the back of the seat is better for cooling, the downside is that it can get slammed by anything that rumbles around in the boot.

Upside down on the parcel shelf avoids this for the most part, but cooling performance is limited 'coz convection doesn't work as efficiently.

Ah, it's a conundrum.... ;)

(I ran my amp upside down in the VT for years and never had any overheating issues - although the amp was never under any particular stress either.)

Sir-Psycho-Sexy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL executive
Just a consideration, (to make it harder for you:p ) make sure it is mounted horizontally so that the heat sink is pointing up and can disperse the heat generated.

RyVsAcclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
I didn't wanna mount my amp upside down for the cooling reason, this was one of my issues, also i there doesn't seem to be enough room under the seats to place an amp, might just end up mounting it to the back of the sub box or a similar piece of mdf in the boot, purely for ease of use and space. cheers for the ideas

R Photon

I Like Bresciani Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Commodore
when i did my system myself in the VN i screwed the amp into the arm rest at the back that comes down.

when i got it done professionally they shifted it to the left of the arm rest in the boot on a plank of wood vertically..had no troubles either way

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
well i have mounted both my amps upside down to the p shelf.
they are both jaycar (400W monoblock and 4x130W amp) so they do not have fans and i dont have any additional cooling there. i have the monoblock putting out around 800W at 1 ohm (read: its limit).
the past 2 days have been 38 and 42 respectively and i have not had any problems from over heating.
i can only speak for the jaycars, but i believe it to be fine espicially if the amp has a fan.
bolting the amp to the sub box will make it nice and easy to steal. i am sure the theives will like it.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
wood plank behind the seat back seems the way to go