Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mounting number plate light bar on vy

The Boganator

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VY SV8
Hey guy, quick question I seem to not be able to find an answer for off google. I've purchased a decent size light bar and aluminium mounting bracket off a local seller with the intent of using it as I drive about 70km a day through bad roo roads. After purchasing it I was informed by a mate they are illegal to install because they protrude beyond the factory front bumper and are not a bull bar, nudge bar or alike. The one I have is too large to fit in the lower air induction of my sv8 front bumper so that's out of the question ( thankfully as I don't like limiting air induction onto a car that can drive at outside demos of over 40 degrees with hot air the only respite). I spoke to a few locals like cops and mechanics that do punk slips and I'm told they are fine with them out here as it us so rural so its OK to install it. So, I'm gunna install thus one. The first idea was to roobar or nudge bar my by and Mount it there, but really not sure. Upon looking at how you would make a secure mounting of the bracket it seems the best way would be bolt it directly through the bumper and onto the front chassis brace behind the number plate mount. This chassis brace is a tubed piece, so mounting would require self tapping into the brace, so relatively secure but a rust threat. This seems like the only way to securely mount the bar and brace and make sure a. It doesn't fall off and b. It doesn't move around too much offering a secure illumination.
My question is are there better mounting ideas, where's the air bag sensor on the front end, will drilling in the area set the bags off and to save ******* around, anyone got a cheap too or nudge bar for sale?
Can't get a good pic on my pad of the brace, I'll upload one shortly. Whole unit including light would weigh under 3kg
Cheers

whiteknight66

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VZ Crewman
I'm in the same Boat. Has anyone got some good advice which way to go? Drill right thru the brace and use bolt/nut? Would self Tappers Hold?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Hey guy, quick question I seem to not be able to find an answer for off google. I've purchased a decent size light bar and aluminium mounting bracket off a local seller with the intent of using it as I drive about 70km a day through bad roo roads. After purchasing it I was informed by a mate they are illegal to install because they protrude beyond the factory front bumper and are not a bull bar, nudge bar or alike. The one I have is too large to fit in the lower air induction of my sv8 front bumper so that's out of the question ( thankfully as I don't like limiting air induction onto a car that can drive at outside demos of over 40 degrees with hot air the only respite). I spoke to a few locals like cops and mechanics that do punk slips and I'm told they are fine with them out here as it us so rural so its OK to install it. So, I'm gunna install thus one. The first idea was to roobar or nudge bar my by and Mount it there, but really not sure. Upon looking at how you would make a secure mounting of the bracket it seems the best way would be bolt it directly through the bumper and onto the front chassis brace behind the number plate mount. This chassis brace is a tubed piece, so mounting would require self tapping into the brace, so relatively secure but a rust threat. This seems like the only way to securely mount the bar and brace and make sure a. It doesn't fall off and b. It doesn't move around too much offering a secure illumination.
My question is are there better mounting ideas, where's the air bag sensor on the front end, will drilling in the area set the bags off and to save ******* around, anyone got a cheap too or nudge bar for sale?
Can't get a good pic on my pad of the brace, I'll upload one shortly. Whole unit including light would weigh under 3kg
Cheers
I’d suggest some nutserts into the support bar are the go. Maybe an M8 or M10 nutsert.

Take the plastic bar off. Work out where you want the lights mounted. Take a look at the support bar for a suitable spot that matches.
Mark the holes on the support bar. Drill them out and clean up the hole and pint with cold galv. Then use a sealant as well when installing the nutserts.

There’s two recessed areas under the number plate that might rest against the support bar?

otherwise fabricate some suitable spacers between the support bar and the plastic bumper so when you tighten it up, it is firm and won’t distort the plastic bar. Some aluminium pipe would do a good job.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’m looking at what I have and it looks like those two recessed parts behind the number plate sit up into the bottom of the support bar. You could fashion a bracket drone some aluminium flat bar bent up to face behind the number plate. Put a chisel into the outer edge of the bend and hammer in a notch to make it stronger. Use two nursery’s in the bottom of the support bar and one in the flat bar behind the number plate. Will need a 10mm hole in the plastic bumper to allow for a required recess in the flat bar/bracket so the nursery sits flush.

hope that makes some sense.