Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Moving away from HSV mag ride. suggestions?

Vf Wayneo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf ss, ve senny, 1.5j is200
yo,
search is broken and ive gone through a few pages but cant find anything.

Bought a VE HSV senator, had tien supersport coilovers in it, thought id go give the factory magride a go, and either they are **** or the ones i bought are ****.. either way, before i go buy a set of MCA primes, does anyone have some suggestions? i heard something about koni back in the day?!

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
You found out HSV replacement MRC dampers make decent coilovers look cheap?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... thought id go give the factory magride a go, and either they are **** or the ones i bought are ****...
By all accounts, the senator should drive well with working MRC system and working MRC dampers.

So does the vehicle MRC system actually work or was it boggied up in some way when the MRC dampers were removed? Are the MRC dampers thenselves actually working?

Not sure how they can be tested but normally DTC's should flag if issues exist (but who knows what state the system is in if it was bodgied in some way). May be get a copy of the Holden VF,WN & HSV Gen-F Workshop Manual pdf and go through the Electronic Suspension Control section and do some diagnostics before you write off MRC.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
no i found out HSV magrides make cheap coilovers look good.

When you replaced the Tien coilovers with the MRC dampers, was the MRC system re-enabled?
Would have to have been disabled when the coilovers were fitted, to avoid the speed limitations and warnings?

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
have heard there is a plug under bonnet rhs that is disconnected when aftermarket shocks fitted

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
have heard there is a plug under bonnet rhs that is disconnected when aftermarket shocks fitted

Yes but due to the nature of GMLAN wouldn't the BCM keep looking for the MRC Module, and if it couldn't find it or it reports blown shocks, wouldn't it apply the speed limit? Surely you'd have to make it so that the BCM no longer looks for the MRC module.

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
If you got the dosh, I'd fit airbags to your teins, and get the Tein EDFC to enable variable damping rates.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes but due to the nature of GMLAN wouldn't the BCM keep looking for the MRC Module, and if it couldn't find it or it reports blown shocks, wouldn't it apply the speed limit? Surely you'd have to make it so that the BCM no longer looks for the MRC module.

The plug is disconnected to disable the MRC system, so you don't get the warnings and speed limitations.