Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mr Bodykit front lip FYI - fitment issues VF

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Regardless of what the images show
Does that mean Holden are responsible to retrofit free of charge, colour coded mirror covers for an SSV Redline when the mirror covers pictured in the Redline sales brochure are black?

• Haha
Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Does that mean Holden are responsible to retrofit free of charge, colour coded mirror covers for an SSV Redline when the mirror covers pictured in the Redline sales brochure are black?
You’ve lost me there.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
View attachment 267460

I’d be going back to this mission statement which is a banner for their approach to all their products.

Regardless of what the images show (that no one buying would be noticing) the product for the VF2 SS does not meet their own criteria for fitment.

They use 3D scanners to get fitment right. (It’s not right)

They are asking their customers to trust they are getting correct fitment OEM grade body kits.

Not knock offs or low quality products. This product is of low quality because it doesn’t fit correctly.

Those are their own words.

They have sold a product that doesn’t meet their own standards of manufacture. It’s written right there that it’s not their expectation for a customer to get what you e bought. Their own trust statement has been compromised.
WTF is 'carbon fiberglass'?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
It’s carbon fibre cloth and used with the regular acrylic resins that are used with fibreglass cloth.

I vaguely recall back when I made and fixed boards in the late 80’s and early 90’s some sort of new black cloth being used at a place I got my supplies from. I think it was Colin Earl on Hay St Subi. Looked cool.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
WTF is 'carbon fiberglass'?
99.9% normal fibre glass with 0.1% of added of carbon fibre :p

i.e. it’s probably marketing fluff :rolleyes:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
99.9% normal fibre glass with 0.1% of added of carbon fibre :p

i.e. it’s probably marketing fluff :rolleyes:
It is stronger.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
the mission statement is not going to help in the ops case because it is not product specific and the company if asked will say the product has been designed that way for "insert reason here".
a consumer cant impose expectations on a companies design, if they could you would all be driving a very different vf.

you need to find a defect/fault that causes the product to not operate as intended/advertised or is different to the product advertised.
if the other vf2 kits had perfect end to end fitment but the ops one didnt then that would be a defect but by the look of it they are all designed that way.

the op has essentially purchased the product, had it painted then fitted it and said i dont like the look of that and this is honestly not a solid reason for return because it falls in to "change of mind"
the company is reluctant to refund because it has been painted so really it cant be resold and from a business standpoint you have to understand where they are coming from.

if we could all buy products and use them for a short time/modify them and turn around and say i dont like that and be due a refund by law no one would want to sell sh!t in this country because no matter how good the product is a business can be exploited.

if a case were to go to fair trade common sense would be applied and they would see that every product including the ops has the same design so its not a singular defect.
they would ask about the design being short and the company will say something like "it is designed like that to stop it binding on curbs" or something.
they would look at how the product was advertised and see the same fitment in the advertising.
they would ask the op why they are not happy and it would be about the look of the product not fitting perfectly at the end.

then they would form an opinion and how that goes we cant really say but i would think it would be dismissed because there is no fault with the product it is just the aesthetics of the product so it is really just change of mind.

looking at their refund policy they dont offer anything for change of mind, they do offer refunds for defective or damaged products which they are required to do by law.

What are the key consumer rights and regulations governing refund policies in Australia?​

Consumer rights and regulations governing refund policies in Australia are robust and designed to protect consumers when they make purchases. Some key aspects of these regulations include:

1. Consumer Guarantees: The Australian Consumer Law (ACL) outlines consumer guarantees that products and services must meet. These guarantees ensure that items are of acceptable quality, match their descriptions, and are fit for their intended purpose. If a product or service doesn’t meet these guarantees, consumers have the right to a remedy, which can include a refund.
  2. No Change-of-Mind Refunds: Retailers are not legally obligated to offer refunds or exchanges for change-of-mind purchases. However, many stores have their own policies that provide such refunds as a goodwill gesture.
  3. Faulty Products: If a product is faulty, unsafe, or significantly different from what was described, consumers can request a refund or a replacement, and in some cases, compensation for damages.
  4. Proof of Purchase: Consumers typically need proof of purchase, such as a receipt or bank statement, to exercise their rights for a refund or return.
  5. Extended Warranties: Retailers may offer extended warranties, but consumers are already protected by consumer guarantees under the ACL. It’s important for consumers to understand that they have rights beyond any warranty or guarantee offered by the seller.
  6. Online Purchases: The ACL also covers online purchases, and consumers have the same rights when shopping online as they do in physical stores. This includes the right to refunds for faulty or misrepresented products.
  7. PPSR Checks: In some cases, conducting a Personal Property Securities Register (PPSR) check before buying certain items, such as second-hand goods, can help consumers ensure they are not purchasing items with unresolved debts or issues.

It’s crucial for consumers to be aware of their rights and the specific refund policies of the retailers they engage with. In most cases, businesses are cooperative and will work with consumers to resolve refund and return issues in line with Australian consumer law.

How does the refund process in Australia differ for online purchases compared to in-store purchases?​

In Australia, the refund policy process for online purchases differs slightly from in-store purchases due to the nature of these transactions:
Online Purchases: When consumers buy products online, they are protected by the same consumer rights and guarantees as in-store purchases under the Australian Consumer Law (ACL). However, there are some notable distinctions:

1. Cooling-off Period: For online purchases, there is often a “cooling-off” period during which consumers can change their minds and request a refund without providing a specific reason. This period typically spans 14 days from the date of delivery for most online purchases, known as the “consumer guarantees” cooling-off period.
  2. Return Shipping: In many cases, when returning an online purchase, consumers may be responsible for the cost of return shipping unless the product is faulty, not as described, or doesn’t meet consumer guarantees. Some online retailers may offer free returns as a customer service gesture.
  3. Refund Methods: The refund process for online purchases may involve the reversal of the original payment method. If a consumer paid by credit card, for instance, the refund is typically credited back to the same card.
  4. Communication: Online returns often require communication with the seller via email or through the retailer’s website to initiate the return process.

In contrast, in-store purchases usually involve a more immediate interaction, where consumers can physically return the product to the store and often receive a refund or exchange on the spot. While the underlying consumer rights are consistent, the practical process for online purchases may involve more steps and potential shipping considerations. It’s essential for consumers to be aware of these differences when making purchases to ensure a smooth refund experience.

Are there specific timeframes or conditions that consumers should be aware of when seeking refunds in Australia?​

Yes, there are specific timeframes and conditions that consumers in Australia should be aware of when seeking refunds. These guidelines are primarily outlined in the Australian Consumer Law (ACL) and can vary depending on the circumstances:

1. Consumer Guarantees: Under the ACL, consumers have the right to seek a remedy if a product or service does not meet consumer guarantees. These guarantees include the right to a refund, repair, or replacement. The timeframe for seeking these remedies can vary depending on the nature of the issue. For major failures, consumers can typically request a refund within a reasonable time frame.
  2. Change of Mind: Retailers are not legally obligated to provide refunds for change-of-mind purchases. However, many stores have their own policies that allow for refunds or exchanges within a certain timeframe, often ranging from 7 to 30 days, provided the item is in its original condition with proof of purchase.
  3. Faulty Products: If a product is found to be faulty or significantly different from what was described, consumers can usually request a refund, replacement, or repair within a reasonable period after purchase, even if the retailer’s return policy has expired.
  4. Services: For services, consumers have the right to request a refund or a remedy if the service doesn’t meet the consumer guarantees. The timeframe for seeking remedies depends on the specific service and issue.

It’s essential for consumers to be aware of these timeframes and conditions, as well as the retailer’s specific return policy, which may offer additional protections or limitations. Keeping records of receipts and communications with the seller can also be helpful when seeking refunds or remedies.

What role does the Australian Consumer Law play in shaping refund policies, and how can consumers leverage it?​

The Australian Consumer Law (ACL) plays a pivotal role in shaping refund policies by establishing a framework of consumer rights, guarantees, and obligations that businesses must adhere to. It ensures a fair and transparent marketplace while empowering consumers. Here’s how consumers can leverage the ACL:

1. Consumer Guarantees: The ACL enforces specific guarantees, including the right to products or services of acceptable quality, fitness for purpose, and consistency with descriptions. If a purchased item or service fails to meet these guarantees, consumers have the right to a remedy, which can include a refund.
  2. Misleading or Deceptive Conduct: The ACL prohibits businesses from engaging in misleading or deceptive conduct, false representations, or unfair practices. If a consumer is misled into a purchase, they can seek a refund or compensation.
  3. Unsolicited Sales: Consumers have a 10-day cooling-off period for unsolicited sales, allowing them to cancel the contract and receive a full refund.
  4. Safety Standards: The ACL mandates that products must meet certain safety standards. If a product is unsafe and doesn’t meet these standards, consumers can seek refunds.
  5. No Excessive Fees: ACL restricts businesses from imposing excessive fees for refunds, ensuring that consumers don’t incur unreasonable costs when returning items.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
There is absolutely an argument here. It should be pressed through the right channels.

The ACCC or Qld State should request the fitment of the product be made clear as part of the written description as well as the subtle appearance in a photo. If it’s meant to be like that, it is clearly a feature of the lip spoiler design and should be part of the description. It’s an odd feature. One that is not like that on their other products. It is a strong part of the look of the end product. Someone who is sight impaired may not pick that up.

Even if it was not painted, it’s installed and that means if it was returned and someone else bought one and got this one, it’s going to be obvious it’s been used. It would not be clear that fitment is poor (in the eyes of reasonable expectation of a consumer) until it has been fitted.

This might be another complaint in a long line of complaints and it’s an accumulation of submissions by consumers that can paint a picture of problems with sellers. The ACCC and State Consumer Depts are interested in that data. It shouldn’t be argued away and not acted on.

Yes there’s an argument. Yes @op should pursue the refund.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
There is absolutely an argument here. It should be pressed through the right channels.

The ACCC or Qld State should request the fitment of the product be made clear as part of the written description as well as the subtle appearance in a photo. If it’s meant to be like that, it is clearly a feature of the lip spoiler design and should be part of the description. It’s an odd feature. One that is not like that on their other products. It is a strong part of the look of the end product. Someone who is sight impaired may not pick that up.

Even if it was not painted, it’s installed and that means if it was returned and someone else bought one and got this one, it’s going to be obvious it’s been used. It would not be clear that fitment is poor (in the eyes of reasonable expectation of a consumer) until it has been fitted.

This might be another complaint in a long line of complaints and it’s an accumulation of submissions by consumers that can paint a picture of problems with sellers. The ACCC and State Consumer Depts are interested in that data. It shouldn’t be argued away and not acted on.

Yes there’s an argument. Yes @op should pursue the refund.

of course there is an "argument" but that does not mean you are going to win.

again a consumer cannot force expectations on a product design, if the product is designed to be like that then that is how it is.

you cannot compare a different product to the one in question, that is not how it works so the vf1 product cannot be used as an expectation of the vf2 product.

you need to prove a defect or a fault of the product for a refund to be required by law.
your dislike of the look of the product is called "change of mind" and there is no legal requirement of the vendor to issue a refund for that reason.

like i said before, the fitment is shown in the advertising.
i can only assume the product is designed that way so every one of them sold has that fitment so its not a fault or a defect.

you can argue ignorance on your part for not looking at the advertising but that is going to cause you an instant loss of the argument because the vendor is not responsible for consumer ignorance.

if they attempt to do something to obfuscate or hide the fitment in the advertising then it is classed as misleading and they lose.

i am not saying for the op to not pursue the refund nor am i saying they wont receive one, i am saying the op needs to go in with actual grounds for the refund because not liking the look is called "change of mind".

saying i read their mission statement and think it should mean that every product is designed to my expectations is ludicrous and pretty much going to result in a dismissal of the application to have it heard.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
"Let the buyer beware".

Reactions: Lex