Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

muffler

briggsy97

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute 95
Has anyone thought of putting a cherry bomb muffler on ther there v6??
I have a red back systems cat back with a high flow cat and want it to sound meaner and pop and crackle so i want to go with either the cherry bomb extreme, pro or the glass pack,
So just wondering is anyone else has done it???

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
For crackle and pop you need a straight pipe with no cat, it's unburnt fuel igniting in the exhaust.

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
There is a setting the computer that shuts of the fuel when you lift your foot IF it is above a certain rpm. That will also stop it crackling and popping like a carby engine does. Somebody suitably skilled in the art should be able to change that for you without too much trouble.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
it's unburnt fuel igniting in the exhaust.

I remember before efi, you could pull out the choke on a carby engine to get a lumply idle:whistling

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Don't use a Cherry Bomb muffler, restrictive and quiet.

If you want crackle, you will need extractors, a high flow cat and small straight through muffler and tail pipe with no resonator. It will crackle and pop, but if it's an auto, you will need to select gears to make it crackle more.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
when driving along, with foot on the loud peddle - turn off the car.. but with foot still planted on the gas.. that will make it pop ;)

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Didn't think that worked with EFI, as soon as you turn the key off, it cuts the fuel.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
when driving along, with foot on the loud peddle - turn off the car.. but with foot still planted on the gas.. that will make it pop ;)

Splitting a muffler open through the seam isn't really a pop.... more of a single bang. As naaf said, key bangers don't work with efi.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
I remember before efi, you could pull out the choke on a carby engine to get a lumply idle:whistling
yep, the old days. When you could turn the dizzy a bit and tune the carb/s with a screwdriver instead of paying bulk bucks or needing to be clever with computers.

My hotrod made a good sound but the whole lot was worked, not just screw a bit on the back to make it sound 'race'.