Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Multiple Memcals?

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
Just wondering if it's possible to run multiple memcals in a V6 VN.

Here's what I was thinking:
Stack the chips (solder the legs from each one onto the shoulders of the one below it except for the power supply pin), and have a switch to switch the power to different chips.

I'm handy enough with a soldering iron to be able to do that side of things myself, but would it work running a stock chip :), a lean-cruise chip :embarrass and a burn-fuel-and-be-damned chip :driving: all stacked? I can't be stuffed swapping out chips all the time, so thought this would be a good way to go about it.

Stock is nice and all, but having a bit (LOT) more go is handy every now and then, and a lean-cruise would rock for highway/freeway cruising.

And thoughts/suggestions/flames welcome. :whistling

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
actually sounds like an idea, from a circuit point of view it sounds possible, just unsure if the car would like switching on the fly.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The silly thing is why not just have one good one. I never understand the reason behind wanting to have two different tunes. I don't think anyone else would either if they knew how they work and the area of adjustment you have. The area you cruise on has nothing at all to do with acceleration or full power so you can have both qualities on the same tune

Last edited:

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
foamies comment aside, you can get chip biggybackers to do this very thing anyway.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
for a vn, you can run a 27c256(will fit 2 tunes), with a wire in the correct spot and a switch, you can run multiple tunes. i played with it many moons ago, but found it easier to just use a single tune done right.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
The silly thing is why not just have one good one. I never understand the reason behind wanting to have two different tunes. I don't think anyone else would either if they knew how they work and the area of adjustment you have. The area you cruise on has nothing at all to do with acceleration or full power so you can have both qualities on the same tune

wot he says...... just lean out the closed loop cruise table if you want. Totally different area to the wot "race" map :).... Why anybody would want such a thing is totally beyond me anyways....

Reaper

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
on a 27c256 you just switch one pin with a switch to earth/power for dual maps top righthand side pin if i remember right.or if you get a bigger chip you can select between four different bins on the one chip but i dont have the switch diagram in front of me right now.good if you want a burnout tune and a fast acceleration tune some of my tunes you cant take off in traffic due to wheelspin which can be a pain for city driving but fun for burnouts.so best of both worlds chip with both bin for fun one for driving around town.

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
Thanks for all that guys, you've given me a bit to think about. I hadn't thought about the fact that cruise happens at a very different point in the mapping tables to WOT.

I've actually got a copy of TunerPro and the relevant binaries so I know what I'm looking at to a certain extent. I guess I might hit eBay and find an eeprom burner and some spare chips so that I can play around with making my own maps.

I'm VERY interested in running multiple maps on a single chip though. Got any good links that I should know about?

I know that in the end I'll just give in and buy myself a foamy tune, but there's no harm in playing around with it myself first. Well...so long as I only take baby steps ;-)

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Moates.Net for the burner and everything you will need.

Reaper