Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My 2007 Omega

Silver07ve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 3.6L Omega
If you wanna get under the bonnet, maybe some MACE manifold insulators? and either custom or CAI.
I might do some stuff under the bonnet thinking an oil catch can but not much else, not gonna go crazy with it

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 Omega, EA Fairmont (Restoration)
I might do some stuff under the bonnet thinking an oil catch can but not much else, not gonna go crazy with it
The motors go well enough without the bolt ons, as long as it is looked after. I added a catch can to mine and replace all the PCV plastic brittle hoses with 3/8 hydraulic hose. Works a treat.
New PCV setup.jpg

Don't mind the circles. But where I have circled is the new setup.

Silver07ve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 3.6L Omega
The motors go well enough without the bolt ons, as long as it is looked after. I added a catch can to mine and replace all the PCV plastic brittle hoses with 3/8 hydraulic hose. Works a treat.View attachment 248282

Don't mind the circles. But where I have circled is the new setup.
Yeah that’s true and that’s a good idea I might have a look into doing that myself, I took off my intake and saw some oil had gone up in there and gave me the idea of a catch can

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah that’s true and that’s a good idea I might have a look into doing that myself, I took off my intake and saw some oil had gone up in there and gave me the idea of a catch can
It's a piece of cake. I just used a SAAS catch can from Autobarn, parts needed below.

1x Catch can
1x 3/8 brass Tee
2x 1/4 inch threaded brass fitting male tail 3/8
Hose that doesn't collapse under vacuum, I used 3/8 Hydraulic hose (get like 3 metres to be safe and cut to length, too much is better than not enough)
Optional - hose clamps

When you cut the PCV fitting off the old setup, give yourself a good few inches to insert into the new hose. (like the fitting I have cut on the left)
PCV fitting.jpg

And just make sure you have it running from the Rocker cover to IN - OUT to manifold on the Catch can.

If you haven't already, while you have the intake off, take the throttle body off and give that a good clean with throttle body cleaner or something of the same. Don't force the butterfly past where it rotates back.

Silver07ve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 3.6L Omega
It's a piece of cake. I just used a SAAS catch can from Autobarn, parts needed below.

1x Catch can
1x 3/8 brass Tee
2x 1/4 inch threaded brass fitting male tail 3/8
Hose that doesn't collapse under vacuum, I used 3/8 Hydraulic hose (get like 3 metres to be safe and cut to length, too much is better than not enough)
Optional - hose clamps

When you cut the PCV fitting off the old setup, give yourself a good few inches to insert into the new hose. (like the fitting I have cut on the left)
View attachment 248313
And just make sure you have it running from the Rocker cover to IN - OUT to manifold on the Catch can.

If you haven't already, while you have the intake off, take the throttle body off and give that a good clean with throttle body cleaner or something of the same. Don't force the butterfly past where it rotates back.
Roughly how much was it all up to get all the parts? Thanks heaps that’s a great help I’ll read this again when I go to do it all, it looked really clean the throttle body but I gotta get some cleaner and I’ll take it off and give it a good spray down soon

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Roughly how much was it all up to get all the parts? Thanks heaps that’s a great help I’ll read this again when I go to do it all, it looked really clean the throttle body but I gotta get some cleaner and I’ll take it off and give it a good spray down soon
This is the catch can I got, has actually gone up a little since by $30 odd.

https://autobarn.com.au/ab/Autobarn...nk-Baffled-Round-Black-Billet-500ml/p/PE54845

As for the fittings and hose, I think around the $30 for all that. I'm not 100% sure, I kinda just went and grabbed what I needed and paid without looking haha but shouldn't be too costly, it's just the catch can that costs a bit more.

I also bought some fuel filter foam and cut it up and put it as shown (picture attached) just to stop the gunk coming back up through the outlet. You can also use steel scourers in place of the foam from Woolies and those places.
Catch can foam.jpg

Silver07ve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 3.6L Omega
This is the catch can I got, has actually gone up a little since by $30 odd.

https://autobarn.com.au/ab/Autobarn-Category/Performance-Parts/Engine-&-Transmission/Oils-&-Transmission-Coolers/SAAS-ST1003-Oil-Catch-Tank-Baffled-Round-Black-Billet-500ml/p/PE54845

As for the fittings and hose, I think around the $30 for all that. I'm not 100% sure, I kinda just went and grabbed what I needed and paid without looking haha but shouldn't be too costly, it's just the catch can that costs a bit more.

I also bought some fuel filter foam and cut it up and put it as shown (picture attached) just to stop the gunk coming back up through the outlet. You can also use steel scourers in place of the foam from Woolies and those places.
View attachment 248318
I’ve seen a few and they’re so expensive, there are some kits that are going for about $30-$50 which I might give them a go, I just don’t want the oil that’s coming up into the intake to do any damage or anything, I cleaned the whole intake out and made sure it was clean

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’ve seen a few and they’re so expensive, there are some kits that are going for about $30-$50 which I might give them a go, I just don’t want the oil that’s coming up into the intake to do any damage or anything, I cleaned the whole intake out and made sure it was clean
It's just blow-by which is normal for these cars, but can overtime cause problems with the sensors and all that. The main thing you want from this is the PCV mod, drilling out the holes to a bigger diameter. I will link Fu's write up if you haven't already read through it. Awesome read and explain how to very thoroughly.

You will see though, once you install the catch can, if it works as it should, your intake will become oil free, I haven't had a drop on the intake or TB since doing so. Our motors aren't too bad for it compared to the Direct injection LY7s and above.

Also, make sure whatever can you do get either has a tube that runs to the bottom of the can or place some hose over the inlet port into the can if it doesn't. That way it pushes the crud to the bottom, less chance of it just getting sucked back through the manifold.

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/alloytec-pcv-problem-fix.279039/