Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My '79 V8 HZ Ute :)

VZImpulseSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
'79 HZ Ute
Yeah i know what you guys are saying. Was just hoping there was something i could do to help. I planned to go get the carby and timing sorted out. Think it is a little out. but anyways, thanks for all the help guys :) I'll keep you all posted with updates and stuff :)

VZImpulseSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
'79 HZ Ute
Oh joy. Drive down the street today, and it starts popping. Sounds as though its not burning fuel, and igniting in the exhaust. Was scared to blow my exhaust so turned straight around after reaching the end of the street, and went back. I run it on 95/98 (was told thats fine, but considering trying a valve subsitute now), and am going to (and already planned to) get the carby and the timing set up. Any other advice? Or should that do the trick?

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
You need a valve lead substitute, like valvesaver if the heads haven't been set up for unleaded, I've never had a problem, I only run 98, never run less, it doesn't like it, if you run less, you've then got to back off timing to suit and you Lose power. Mine pops and crackles on the occasion, I think it's just the carby to be honest, it's the reason why on going to a quadie. Although I Spose it could be a cam problem too maybe? Someone should correct me on that, too much fuel for lift? Worn cam? Either way, they go forever....

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
You need to run it on PULP (preferably 98, like kingswood country's HJ, my Dad's WB doesn't like anything less) AND use lead replacer. Don't run it without lead replacer - otherwise over time you'll stuff the engine unless its had hardened valve seats installed. Here's a page on some info on valve seat recession: http://www.rmahc.com/valveseat.html (yeah, its for Austins, but the same applies for any engine that was originally designed for leaded fuel)

VZImpulseSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
'79 HZ Ute
It was popping and pinging, used a boost and clean, it was fine. Used 98 always anyway, but using a Valve saver now, and its popping and pinging every now and then. The guy before me said he just used 98 all the time.... Should i be expecting to be up for new valves? Also told it could be that my dizzy is too retarded?... I plan to get the carby and timing set up properly, and i'm getting a new electronic dizzy for it, once they are in, and if im using 98 and a valve saver, should it be fine (providing my valves aren't stuffed)?

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
I'd definitely get them checked out, depends on whether he has had hardened valve seats installed, and for how long he's been running it without lead replacer.

VZImpulseSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
'79 HZ Ute
I'd definitely get them checked out, depends on whether he has had hardened valve seats installed, and for how long he's been running it without lead replacer.

I didn't ask him (which i should have), but he said he only ever ran it off 98 and it was ok... So im imagining, ok, until it eventually stuffed the valves :/ hope thats not the case

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
It was popping and pinging, used a boost and clean, it was fine. Used 98 always anyway, but using a Valve saver now, and its popping and pinging every now and then. The guy before me said he just used 98 all the time.... Should i be expecting to be up for new valves? Also told it could be that my dizzy is too retarded?... I plan to get the carby and timing set up properly, and i'm getting a new electronic dizzy for it, once they are in, and if im using 98 and a valve saver, should it be fine (providing my valves aren't stuffed)?

If it's pinging under acceleration, it's advanced too far, loosen the bolt, and turn anti clockwise just slightly a couple degrees, that should get you by before the pistons get to damaged. Until you get it done properly that is.
But don't use less than 98ronyou could get away with running octane booster every time you top up instead of retarding the timing, you've just got to do it each time.

VZImpulseSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
'79 HZ Ute
If it's pinging under acceleration, it's advanced too far, loosen the bolt, and turn anti clockwise just slightly a couple degrees, that should get you by before the pistons get to damaged. Until you get it done properly that is.
But don't use less than 98ronyou could get away with running octane booster every time you top up instead of retarding the timing, you've just got to do it each time.

Not a hundred percent sure how to do that, but got plenty of mates/family members who are heavily into cars/mechanics etc. What sort of damage could i be up for? Its not just moreso under acceleration. Its just happening every now and then, at any point. Its not to do with the acceleration.

VZImpulseSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
'79 HZ Ute
Who are the best people to go to for work on classic cars? (In perth)

Update - Got my ignition kit, tranny cooler, and twin thermo fan. Just gotta get them in now. Also done a video that i'll be uploading soon of the sound.

Last edited: