Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My car won't start

reece

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn sedan
I drove my car home from work today and started no problems at all but left it sitting at home for an hour then went to start it again but won't start.
It was like it was trying to start first time then I stopped to try again and nothing but a tick tick noise or a wine noise I was just wondering if it could be the battery as the only sticker on it says 12/13 which I guess is the date but has green light in view hole thing.
The car is a 2001 vx executive ls1 if that makes any difference and if it's the starter motor how hard are they to replace.

getmo29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Olympic Edition S2 3.8
if the starter motor just keeps ticking then its most probably a dead battery.

getmo29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Olympic Edition S2 3.8
check the volts of the battery to be 100% sure

if you dont have a multimeter, you can check the voltage in the hidden trip computer menu, by holding mode and up when turning the key.
if its below 12.4 then its a dead battery.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
As other posters have indicated, it's more likely that you have a flat battery. You can check easily if you (or someone you know) has jumper leads to give you a jump start. I haven't changed a starter motor on my VX GTS, but it looks like it would be a bugger of a job. There is little or no clearance. Hopefully replacing it will not be necessary for you.

reece

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn sedan
Forgot about that trick with trip computer will try tomorrow thanks for the help.

reece

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn sedan
Got new battery with bigger cranking amps just to be sure but no go still just tick tick noise so I gather it is the starter motor.
Would giving the solinode a tap maybe loosen it up just wondering if it's stuck or do I need a new starter motor looks like a weekend job.

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
Tap it and see if it cranks , check the earths are tight and clean . Disconnect the battery before putting a spanner near the starter motor earths unless you enjoy sparks

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
starter earths through the engine block, wont have any power going to ground to complete circuit unless trying to start it, you mean the battery positive I think,
solenoid or starter windings (starter needed if this is the problem)

reece

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn sedan
Just had a better look at car and it's not the starter making ticking noise it sounds like it's coming from fuse area.
I checked voltage on battery when starting and it drops from 12.1 to 12 volt.
Need help before I torch the car.