Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Commy

TAILS83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
G'day mate. My name is Luke and I own a vr Commodore. I was reading your home page and thought you would know what I need to know. As you do I have blown 2 auto gearboxes so I put in a manual out of a VN commodore, everything bolted in with/without a problem like the peddle box was a real bitch and the flywheel bolts kept snapping so Bought new ones cause the dumb wreckers but the real problem is the wiring and the starter motor it doesn't seem to go out far enough and most of the time it just grinds rather than start and is a real bitch too. I put manual gearbox computer in with a minor change to the plug shape but wouldn't run, I got a tip to put the auto computer back in with the manual memcal so now it runs but what about the speed sensor. I hooked up the Black wire to ground and the pink/blue wire to the number 12 fuse (I think that wire then goes to the oxygen sensor) but the other wire is really ******* me, I have hooked it up to the Speedo so I know how fast I'm going now at least but the computer Doesn't. How do I hook it up? Any help would help.

D

damo9

luke a auto to manual conversion is a huge and tricky job i just completed my vr commy with getrag 5spd. the wiring loom has to be replaced as the loom is different between auto and manual but holden no longer make and sell the loom. The auto loom has to be changed at the plug where it plugs into the computer to adapt to the manual computer as its pin outs are totally different you will need a gregorys manual to look at the wiring diagrams to convert. Now with the auto computer still in the car you will have an engine light on all the time and the car will run like crap. Also your speedo is not working cause the auto ecu speed sensor input wants an ac waveform but the speed sensor on the manual box is a dc pulse type sensor ... so get rid of the auto ecu ...convert your wiring loom or get an auto elec to do it and the car will run much better with no error codes or engine light on
***** if you plugged in the manual ecu straight into the auto wiring loom with out converting it you may have damaged the ecu*********

TAILS83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
well i just put a vn computer in my commy and when i the vss is conected to the computer it wont go over 45km/hr and when it isn't connected it runs a bit rich cause when you take your foot off the accellerator it backfires a bit

there are no error codes when hooked up or not but would prefer it to be and am still running the auto harnness just have the plug ewired to suit pin outs on manual comp.
any please.

K

Konker

ok a newbie. well fisrt well done for getting it in there. you must feel so proud. problem is you have prob done back yard styles and un bolted old and bolted in new one. bad idea. as all ready stated you have probably badly damaged your ecu as well as your trans box. never mind. go out buy new vr computer (engine) and talk to someone about a custom trans computer. there is a fair few years between the box and motor so its gonna be a hard one. good on you for the effort tho. let us know how you get on

M

mistervr94v6

damo9 said:
luke a auto to manual conversion is a huge and tricky job i just completed my vr commy with getrag 5spd. the wiring loom has to be replaced as the loom is different between auto and manual but holden no longer make and sell the loom. The auto loom has to be changed at the plug where it plugs into the computer to adapt to the manual computer as its pin outs are totally different you will need a gregorys manual to look at the wiring diagrams to convert. Now with the auto computer still in the car you will have an engine light on all the time and the car will run like crap. Also your speedo is not working cause the auto ecu speed sensor input wants an ac waveform but the speed sensor on the manual box is a dc pulse type sensor ... so get rid of the auto ecu ...convert your wiring loom or get an auto elec to do it and the car will run much better with no error codes or engine light on
***** if you plugged in the manual ecu straight into the auto wiring loom with out converting it you may have damaged the ecu*********

wot does it cost to convert to manual?????