Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My cranky VY SS 383 stroker (turbo addition underway)

ls1gino

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS A4
Keep forgetting my good camera so just got one off my phone..

glide, driveline and diff going in, in a couple of weeks.

cheers,
Gino :cool:

ls1gino

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS A4
Havent made an update in a while so heres where im up to...

Fitted the glide, new diff setup, new 2000cc injectors, 2 bar map sensor, changed the fuel to E85 and got everything running.

Drove the car around for a little while (always off boost, and before the fuel and injector swap) just to check for any problems. Found a few leaking gaskets etc. so fixed them then put it on dyno.

Did a few pulls and it starting bringing up crank sensor faults. Tried a relearn or whatever it is.. no help, tried a new sensor, no help, checked all earths and wiring.. all good.

Then checked the end play and theres about 20 thou which we think is whats throwing the sensor.

We also removed the sensor and had a look at the reluctor wheel and it seems to have a small purple section as if its over heated or something?? Either way motor is coming out soon to inspect.

Plus the converter is way to loose so will get that tightened while its out.

Little disappointed but thats the game i guess.

Will try get some photos of the reluctor and see whats wrong and whats caused it when its apart.

Cheers,
Gino

ls1gino

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS A4
Very nice car Gino, very nice indeed.

Thanks mate!

Quick update for anyone interested..

Pulled the motor out and pulled it down. Found the thrust bearing completely rooted (guess it did its job) and also found the reluctor wheel had come apart from its rivets, which was probably causing the crank sensor to drop in and out.

Luckily the crankshaft survived and looks in good condition so its off to get cleaned up and get a new reluctor wheel put on and back in the motor. Everything else looked fine so a simple bearing kit for the bottom end and it should be good as gold.

We are putting the problem down to when i drilled the sump for the turbo oil return it must have left some metal in the sump which has caused the problem for the bearings..

Will be getting the convertor tightened and the tailshaft re balanced while its apart also. Hopefully will be back on the dyno in a month.

Cheers,
Gino

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
you had me at glide..

ls1gino

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS A4
UPDATE TIME!!
Got everything back for the motor and re assembled the bottom end myself. Put the motor back in along with the modified convertor and rebalanced tailshaft. It starts but is missing badly. Check over everything found 5 injectors not pulsing! assuming cause it had just been sitting around with E85. Remove them all take them to get cleaned and checked, 7 good 1 faulty so i had to buy 1 new one. Put it back together again now im getting temp sensor faults... after lots of diagnosis found the plug itself on the temp sensor was faulty! $5 from the local wreckers and fixed that. Finally get to drive it only on a base tune and off boost to still have a huge driveline vibe fml! Found 2 bent driveshafts (probably a lazy towey someone along the line) so replaced both. Drive, vibe still there... get tailshaft rebuilt with new centre bearing and balanced again.. refit.. still there but better and bearable. PS any ideas on this?!? have tried almost everything with alignment etc. and 95% sure its from the tailshaft?!
Went on the dyno Tuesday and finally made some numbers!! Made 453.6RWKW at 9.5psi!! Its a fairly conservative tune as well cause we not real confident with the alloy block, especially being a stroker already etc.
Needless to say its pretty fun!! Will turn them at 80 and some but still yet to give it a good thrash. Will probably change the screamer pipe at some point, sounds tuff... but its just ridiculously loud haha

Cheers,
Gino :beer chug: