Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My dream car thread - which engine to place in it.

Jarmore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 S
Soooo, I've always had this dream. Once I'm out of uni, buying a Holden Premier(Or Kingswood haven't decided yet) HQ and modernizing the thing. By this I mean putting a new engine in it, plus a transmission that's on the floor (I HATE column shifts), modern suspension, supercharge it maybe. You know, make it an AMAZING cruiser with my girlfriend on the weekends and holidays. Anyway, I was wondering what engine you guys think would be best suited in it - you know. Not too much of a dick to get in. I was thinking the engine be brand new. Some sort of crate motor or something. As I said, give me all your thoughts, I think this could be a very fun conversation to have. ;D haha. Another slightly unrelated questions, what's the main difference between the big block chev engines and the small block? But yeah, let's get a good thread going here! :)

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
what do u want out of the engine? power.. or reliability?

Aussie V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E 308/T350. 1989 FJ75 Toyota Troopcarrier
If you want a drop in crate motor type thing then a small block 350-400 EFI with T700R4 would be my pic. Otherwise an LS2 or LSx with a 6L80E.

Jarmore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 S
If you want a drop in crate motor type thing then a small block 350-400 EFI with T700R4 would be my pic. Otherwise an LS2 or LSx with a 6L80E.

Any reason why you'd take EFI over Carb? What are the advantages of doing so? :))

what do u want out of the engine? power.. or reliability?

Well, I think I'd take reliability over power. I want to be able to get in the thing and actually drive it. You know? haha. It ain't going on a drag strip or anything, and if it does see one, it would just be for a laugh or what ever.

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
Turbocharged Ford barra engine + ZF auto power, smooth and good fuel economy. Easy to mod for more power.

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
I hope your UNi course makes u a wealthy man as you want this done the way your saying your talking mega bucks..

As for motors I'd go with Aussie v8s post.

And If u want reliability not power then that's why ud go Efi not Carby.

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
Small block for sure. Easy conversion, and (should be) easy rego as HQ had a factory 350 model. I'd want a manual if it was me, but yeah T700 would work. So basically what AussieV8 said :p

You do realise that they weren't all column shift don't you?

Jarmore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 S
Small block for sure. Easy conversion, and (should be) easy rego as HQ had a factory 350 model. I'd want a manual if it was me, but yeah T700 would work. So basically what AussieV8 said :p

You do realise that they weren't all column shift don't you?

What do you mean by the bolded 'easy conversion'?

Okay - my dream did not consist of a turbo, sorry not my thing. Always been a fan of a V8 with a lovely supercharger whine. If I can get away with it I'd love to slap one of those on the top. And auto, god no. Manual is the only thing seeing the car. I know this build will cost sooooo much money. But I don't mind and I will try and do most of this myself as a learning process bringing in mate mechanics to help out. This is my dream car, my dream it self. So it could take some time to get the money or what ever but I don't mind. I dunno, I was looking at carsales and stuff for 'em a while back and all I saw was column shifts.

I like the idea of the small block EFI. Now which one? haha. I don't think the small block chevy's are EFI 'ey? So I have no idea what I'd be looking for.

Also, what manual box would go with this engine that you guys find.

Thanks again for all your input, love talking about this stuff. Gets me excited for the future! :))

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
I know this build will cost sooooo much money.

spoke to the mech today about some stuff, one is an old classic.
he said, at the start youll have a book. youll write the prices of everything in there.
a year later itll still be sitting there and a few pages will be filled.
you will get angry.
youll rip out the pages
and burn them.
youll never want to think about money spent on it again.

however.
try find one thats already done or in the combo you want.
if you want a manual, spend the few extra dollars and get the manual.