Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My dream car thread - which engine to place in it.

Jarmore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 S
I don't even care about the potential cost to be honest. haha. I'm not a man to get frustrated by money either. I'm a good saver. haha. Never been one to note take how much money is being spent on things either. If I find something I deem worthy to spend money on, I'll deem it worthy and never think about it again. :)

The chances of finding one would the way I want it could be quite hard don't you think? Plus, the feeling of 'brand new' wouldn't be in the car. You know, a used engine that some other guy has stamped on. Definitely good advice - the smart and correct advice even. But we are talking about dreams here. haha! :))

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
well if thats the case. find a place that does conversions or look up for info.
find a kit that can easily be swapped in where parts are plentiful, and easily found.

even find out what gearboxes are normally used in said scenarios.
ie, the 350 and the 4spd muncie. or the 5L and the t5.

but it all depends, if you do want to go crazy, find out what is the biggest motor you can put in, and build it around that.
now that would be a dream :p

Jarmore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 S
What do you mean by kits mate?

Thought about that, but I think there's a point where it's just pointless. I mean it is a cruiser. I just want it to make a brilliant noise, and when I put my foot down, it sinks its ass into the ground. :) It hink I'm only going to get this with a supercharger though. I don't want to ruin it's reliability with it though. So many trade off's. haha. Fitting massive engines in cars sounds VERY difficult. As the guy posted above, a small block should fit in quite nice as stock it came with a 350. :)

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
I knew a guy who had a 1st gen camaro, 350 SBC mild head work, 6/71 on top pushing around 5-6 PSI single carby on top, had plenty of power too cant remember figures turned the 9or 10 inch wide rears fairly easily. Wasnt to bad on fuel if he was a bit gentle. Ran on PULP.

Cast iron chev block had 4 bolt mains shot peened rods. From memory thw pistons were cast bur not 100% sure

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
I knew a guy who had a 1st gen camaro, 350 SBC mild head work, 6/71 on top pushing around 5-6 PSI single carby on top, had plenty of power too cant remember figures turned the 9or 10 inch wide rears fairly easily. Wasnt to bad on fuel if he was a bit gentle. Ran on PULP.

Cast iron chev block had 4 bolt mains shot peened rods. From memory thw pistons were cast bur not 100%

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
ecotec

/thread

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
By "easy conversion" I mean that seeing as they had a factory 350 model, it's virtually a bolt in swap. You'll just have to chase up the parts you need.

For a manual box I'd go a Muncie as the easy route, they can be bought new from the states. They're only a 4 slot though.

If you want lazy torque, drop in a big block :D

Aussie V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E 308/T350. 1989 FJ75 Toyota Troopcarrier

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Something nice, cheap and easy... 350 Chev.
Something different, much nicer, but a lot more dollars.. 3UZ Toyota.

Jarmore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 S
All awesome information - loved the ecotec gag by the way! hahaha. :)

Now I'm sorry but i'm probably going to make my self look like an idiot here. You can super charged EFI engines yeah? Compared to all you I'm an extreme novice with all this stuff - just love it. haha.

Had a look at the Toyota engine btw - not bad, but not my thing.

Was thinking last night while in bed also - there would be no official shops that would look at this car 'ey? Would have to be a private mechanic or something.

A small block of some description (unsure whether Small Block Chev's have EFI?) with EFI and a Supercharger sounds pretty droolworthy to me. :)

Now I have more questions, what are your thoughts on LS engines? Because I was thinking - could you not put the ZR1/Manaro(I think the manaro's use it) LS9 in there? Those things would have heaps of the parts because they're on actual production cars of today. Thoughts?