Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My dream car thread - which engine to place in it.

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
LS9 is incredibly expensive. Last time i looked $20k+ for then engine you would be better off with an ls1 and adding a blower. Or SBC+blower. Or BBC NA or blown.

How much horse power are you after? Whats your budget? How much of the work can you do yourself?

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
LS9 is incredibly expensive. Last time i looked $20k+ for then engine you would be better off with an ls1 and adding a blower. Or SBC+blower. Or BBC NA or blown.

How much horse power are you after? Whats your budget? How much of the work can you do yourself?

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual

from what i read in this thread.
How much power - he wants a creat motor so all the power
What's his budget - dreaming kid so name your figure it doesnt matter
How much work - well considering he's asking can you supercharge an EFI motor, id say none.

Jarmore have a look here

Jarmore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 S
Haha, yeah. I'm still a kid! Hopefully I can learn from here on until I actually build this thing. I just bought my first car and hopefully I'll learn from working on that through the future.

Anyway, If this was you guys car. LS1 Blown or SBC Blown?

The budget is anything in within reason, as this thread says - it's all just ideas and what not. I had no idea LS9's were that expensive. Screw that. hahaha. LS3 doesn't look bad either.

Both of those engines look absolutely brilliant *_* haha. Now here's the question that's probably going to get me a whole lot of stick. It seems these engines already have an intake on them, isn't that wasted money when the goal is to place a supercharger on top? (from my understanding they come with intake manifolds) I guess I would just sell the intake that came with that engine. So yeah, my question is, can you take that intake off, place a supercharger on - give it all a tune and be all good?

Thanks for putting up with me fella's - really appreciate! haha. :)

Aussie V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E 308/T350. 1989 FJ75 Toyota Troopcarrier
There are a few types of Supercharger, not all are Roots type which is what you are thinking of. Check out CAPA's supercharger page. They have Eaton (Roots style) and Vortech and Paxton (look like a turbo but are belt driven).

Jarmore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 S
Funny you mention this - I watched a video where a guy was explaining the different superchargers. I always thought of going Roots style. It just makes sense in my head. Low down power is where it's at! ;D haha. Plus the Roots styles just look so god damn cool. I am a kid remember, aesthetics count! hahaha. That was a very good read btw, thanks mate. :)

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
depending if you want it mounted on the top or beside using a centrifugal Supercharger. Not 100% on what the rules are over there but I here thru the bonnets not good.

Here read this. if you go to page 3 it starts to tell you the differences and how they work.

Aussie V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E 308/T350. 1989 FJ75 Toyota Troopcarrier
Roots blowers are great for diesels, they were originally designed for them, but are inherently inefficient. To make them efficient you need to do some work or purchase a professional setup and that is alot of money. Screw type blowers, such as some Eaton and Whipples are a much better idea they are a modified Roots style and are quite efficient for what they are. I'd recommend you do alot more reading and check out the Whipple website as well.

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
Don't forget to budget in a solid diff that'll be able to stand all that power