Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My HSV Clubsport

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If the trans and TC are located near you, go have a look. If the flex plate and converter aren’t flogged like your exiting hardware, it may be a good option to buy them where you’ll then have your old transmission as a spare to put away.

I’m not sure if HSV and Holden 6L80E’s had the same ratios, so it’s something to consider, but others may be able to clarify if it’s even a concern :rolleyes:

I personally would still have it inspected before parting with cash...We all know, the claims it was from a low mileage car and been in dry storage can be a little stretch of the truth.... ;)

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
I personally would still have it inspected before parting with cash...We all know, the claims it was from a low mileage car and been in dry storage can be a little stretch of the truth.... ;)
Yeah good call. He'll take $1200 for both. I might ask for more pics.

Since last post I've found a converter in Sydney for $500 delivered up here and one from Perth for $200. Both on facey marketplace and both I trust as far as I could throw a torque converter...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Obviously one needs to take what a seller says with a grain of salt.

After all sales speak stating “a gearbox from a 40k car was stored at the back of the garage for years“ can actually translate to normal speak stating “a boy racer‘s car which has been flogged for 40k kms was under water for some time during the big floods some years ago and was pushed into the back of the garage before the trans was recently pulled”… :p

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
As a side, how does one check the condition of a used TC considering they are a sealed unit.

I‘d think the only way to see the clutch inside them is ok is to cut them open (on a lathe) and inspect the clutch parts along with stator and other parts but then you’d have to re-weld them on a jig of sorts…

On that basis, buying a used TC can just be buying other peoples problems… Guess I’m changing my mind on used as it’s safer to buy new especially with a TC :oops:

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
So have decided to do nothing. I have a brand new flex plate on its way. A main seal, gasket and new bolts. 6 x new bolts for flex plate and will order the new bolts the Losh has kindly advised. Will source out a replacement TC and be tempted to put my transmission back in and see. Might get a quote on a check over before it goes back in tho.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yeah good call. He'll take $1200 for both. I might ask for more pics.

Since last post I've found a converter in Sydney for $500 delivered up here and one from Perth for $200. Both on facey marketplace and both I trust as far as I could throw a torque converter...

Of the insides....Outside shows nothing....

BTW, I've got no idea what to look for inside a transmission...

Get your torque converter done...Better the devil you know than the one you don't

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
Oh yeah got this vid earlier. What the 2 bolt heads coming off did to the bell housing... :oops:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh yeah got this vid earlier. What the 2 bolt heads coming off did to the bell housing... :oops:

Are those, what looks like spider stress cracks, normal casting marks of is it something to be concerned about?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh and my marketplace in Sydney man has now said 50%... :D
I’d pay $500 delivered just to have it and pull it apart as I’ve never worked on an auto :p