Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My new setup - questions

H

Henry

CURRENT GEAR
I used to have the following gear in a 84 Fairlane, which has since been sold:
Sony 6x9s (I know, I know, but they were cheap)
MTX 12” 200watt rms sub
Axis 2 ch amp (bridged, used only for sub)
Sanyo HU (50watt x 4)

My girlfriend recently got a 94 Commodore, which I will be putting this stuff into.

Now, as far as I can tell the commodore currently has 6” speakers in the shelf, and 4” in the front doors.

PLANNED INSTALLATION:
Jaycar 4” (CS2330) for the front doors.$25
OR
Some cheap splits (I don’t think jaycar sell any), utilising the as yet unused slots on the dash where the stock tweeters were meant to go

Jaycar 6” (CS2334) for the back $40
Sub and amp in boot like it was before.

REASONING:
The reason why I opted for this is I think it will give better sound quality, and will involve a very minimum amount of work. I don’t want to go hacking up the rear parcel shelf / making new shelf when I can buy some new 6”s that will (hopefully) be better than the sony 6x9s anyway.
I have very little money to spend, but I want decent sound coverage, as the old install didn’t have a front stage at all. (urgh)

QUESTIONS
Q1
I don’t know whether to get splits (or are they called component speakers?) for the front. Is there much of a quality difference?

Q2
Will the sub be able to pick up all the low-mid stuff ? ie: If I just get 6”s will I suddenly completely lack midrange, or can they handle it?

Q3
Will the boot rattle as much as the old ford? I doubt it will, unless of course I crank it like silly. *crosses fingers*

Q4
Are jaycar speakers any good? I heard that their subs and amps are really good value for money, but don’t really know much about their speakers. Are the kelvar speakers really worth the three-times-the-cost price difference?

Q5
Overall, will the proposed setup give me low, mid, and high end at moderate power levels while still sounding ok?

Anny suggestions / answers greatly appreciated! thanks

Last edited by a moderator: