Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My new SS Thunder Ute

DSLXIK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7l
i reckon when you're talking about the speed difference between the SS and XR6T, the main difference would just be the power delivery, the ss would clearly have a smoother curve, where the xr6t would spike when boost peaks

in the end, its not all about power and speed

congrats on the new purchase, and to what you said earlier about it being a car you have wanted and loved for ages, i know exactly what thats like, when i got my ss it was a 9 year long dream come true

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Calais Sportwagon
i reckon when you're talking about the speed difference between the SS and XR6T, the main difference would just be the power delivery, the ss would clearly have a smoother curve, where the xr6t would spike when boost peaks

in the end, its not all about power and speed

That used to be the case but Ford have tweaked the **** out of the I6T and it's now as smooth as to drive... You can certainly drive it smooth but the torque is awesome. No it's not all about power. I never said it was. For me, it's about overall package and the sort of feeling you get when driving the car. If I had to pick one car I've owned to go back to, it would be my M6 E-Series LS2 Clubby for sure. While I think the I6T XR6 Turbo is a better overall package than even HSVs, I miss the grunt of the V8, the noise it makes and the style of the car most. Seats were better than the Ford too - Fords are far too soft. And the three little things that annoyed me most about the Ford were no illumination on steering wheel controls, no flexi wipers and no projector headlights. Although they have the projector headlights now.

You may be able to answer this what do the 6t run down the quarter?

The one that sticks in my mind is the stock XR6 Turbo ute with the ZF auto doing a sub 13 in full street trim.

hervy875

Reaction score
Members Ride
vyss
:spot on:well done a reformed man.....how do u post pics im new to this site cheers

EVIL UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS S2 Thunder
Nice ute mate.

Ive got a white SS Thunder and love it!! Great choice :yeah:

RedhotThunder

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 2 VE Thunder Sv6
Thunder ftw.

Off topic of threads purpose but on topic of what the thread has become.... :p As said to begin with... there is little in it between the xr6t and the ve ss. The xr6t will ALWAYS feel like a faster car for those who havn't driven one ONLY because of the turbo and dramatic increase in torque. And yes the xr6t do have faster stock times down teh 1/4 I'm pretty sure but dont quote that. However, if you were to extend the length to say 1/2 or even 1 mile/1.6km the SS would take the cake hands down I think. The turbo is good but tends to reach its peak pretty quickly, where as the SS will still pull hard in 6th gear.

Posted from experience... feel free to disect it though. ;)